Menu
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

unable to connect ntlworld email accounts on new laptop

I have a new laptop and am trying to set up ntlworld email accounts in outlook. I've managed to get one working but the other two (all are in regular use) just won't connect. I send and receive emails with both, indeed, did so today using my old steam powered laptop. When I log into our VM email online (we're broadband customers), I can only 'see' the joint account address, not my two independent accounts which I use for work. Can anyone help? I'm really frustrated. I don't want to lose the two that I've used for ages and there must be a solution as the email addresses are working on the old laptop. I seem to recall some issues when I had the old laptop 'new' in 2015. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: unable to connect ntlworld email accounts on new laptop

Someone please enlighten me. I'm going mad.

When attempting to set up my two individual ntlworld accounts in Outlook, I receive an error message with 'is this you', 'check the settings' etc. I've tried both manually setting up (IMAP and SMTP) using the settings from the (working) email account, but no matter what I try, neither will connect.

If I log in to VM webmail using the 'main' joint account address, I can see thes emails but, cannot see anywhere to swap/show my other two addresses (which are used more regularly). We are VM customers and have been so since the switch, and not moved house. 

Could my email addresses be 'orphaned' and, if so, why then can I still receive and send via Outlook on my old laptop?

I tried the 'mailtester' app and both addresses come up as invalid. I am unable to log in to VM webmail using the individual addresses and either the present password or, indeed, a prior one. 

Does this give enough detail? 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The mailtester app no longer works for virgin media or the legacy domains so that cannot be taken as in indication that the email addresses are invalid.

When you sign into your My Virgin Media account https://my.virginmedia.com/ with your primary user details can you see the email addresses concerned under the My Profile or Manage Accounts tabs?

What happens if you try and access the individual accounts directly via VW webmail at https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

Edited to add I see that you have already tried my second suggestion.  What happens if you try to reset the password for the 'missing accounts' 

virgin-media-reset-username-and-password 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham, thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

As you say, I have looked online under our VM email/webmail account and can only see our joint address (the primary account).

I dabbled with your other suggestions of the change password but need some other details re account which I don't have until our next bill. 

I wondered if I could add the email addresses to the primary account - and tried - but that has brought it's own issues re ports and POP3/IMAP/SMTP etc and I'm really stuck. 

The addresses are active - I receive emails on my old laptop under POP and SMTP but cannot 'find' the online/server source to enable me to set them up on my new laptop. It's so frustrating.  

I'm wondering about redirection... but not entirely sure how/if that would work and it doesn't seem an elegant solution at all, if indeed possible.

With best wishes,

B

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bridcol, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the set up with outlook, please see the settings here. Have you managed to get this resolved or still having issues with this? ^Chris

0 Kudos
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Chris, thanks for your reply. In short, no. It's not so much the settings in Outlook it seems, but rather the fact that online in webmail, our VM account only shows the joint ntlworld address. This account was set up without issue on my new laptop, although I noticed I now have IMAP now when it had been Pop3 before for incoming mail. The issue is, that I'm unable to locate my other two ntlworld.com addresses on the VM webmail - despite them 'working' as they download from somewhere in cyberspace to my old laptop. How, and where, I can access those via Virgin seems to be the crux of things. I've tried all manner of combos of email addresses and the current password (which shows me the primary joint email address mail) and a past password, just in case the accounts had parted company somehow. I'm not sure that classifies as 'orphan accounts'. I hope that clarifies my turmoil.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the service. Can you click on this link here and it will show all the settings. Chris 

0 Kudos
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Chris, thank you again but, if you see my reponse to your previous link (and I am grateful for the help), it's not the settings I seem to need but where, on the VM server, my two ntlworld email accounts reside. As I am unable to see them when I log into our account, and can only view the 'joint' email address. They are active, working, but I don't know where stored online to then enable me to set up in Outlook using the relevant settings (as I did with the 'joint' account.

How do I find that out - where the two ntlworld email profiles are 'held'?

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bridcol, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this email issue, I am sorry its causing so much confusion and frustration.

I think we need to take this into a PM so that I can ask exactly which emails you're referring to and see if I can locate them on our system.

I'll send this PM now, so speak soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Bridcol
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I'm not comfortable doing that as I really don't know who you are and disclosing details seems somewhat risky. Thank you for your reply nevertheless.

0 Kudos