cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to access email using app on android phone

dadoandrew
Joining in

Hi all. I have lost the ability to acess virgin email on my d.. samsung mobile. it worked fine until abiut 8 this morning, 2 hours on livechat later and i still have no access. o2 say its virgins fault. can anyone help me

8 REPLIES 8

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dadoandrew 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the email issue. You've said it's via your mobile, so are you using a third party email client? If so, please see here.

If it's via Webmail, what error messages are you getting please?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Mykol
Up to speed

Hi @dadoandrew have you updated the Android Gmail App very recently (today?)

The Android Gmail App was updated on July 25th and since then there have been reports of some users being unable to sync with their email server (various vendors, not just VM). Reinstalling the App appears to provide a (very) temporary fix (I’ve done so twice today in fact). Assuming this is the case, then hopefully Google will provide a more permanent fix in due course.

dadoandrew
Joining in

Thanks for replies. It's using the Samsung mail app. Even when u follow the get new password generator it won't allow me to receive new emails. Staff at o2 say that it's because virgin is trying to move old blueyonder addresses over?

Mykol
Up to speed

This has been reported to Google Support by users and already escalated to the concerned Gmail team. The team wants relevant details specific to this issue, so for others reporting the same issue be sure to submit feedback directly to the concerned Gmail team via the Feedback option in the Gmail Android mobile app. This process also includes relevant device, browser, app, and OS details as well to best help the team. The team is known to read all feedback submitted to them, although they may not respond back unless they desire additional information related to the topic of your feedback. The purpose of sending Feedback is to also give the team a measure of the volume of users being affected by an issue or requesting a particular feature. 

As I said previsoulsy, reinstalling the App appears to provide a temporary fix. Alternatively, after providing Feedback to Google via the App->Feedback option, you can revert to a previousl (working) version via Settings->Apps->Gmail->Uninstall Updates. Hopefully Google will provide a more permanent fix in due course.

Hi again I did uninstall the Gmail update and it seems to have worked. However I can't get the same fix to work on my wife's mobile, odd.

Mykol
Up to speed

UPDATE: Google have released an update which appears to have resolved the issue...

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Mykol 👋

Thanks for providing an update on this. I'm glad to hear the most recent update released by Google has resolved this issue. Please do let us know if you have any other issues, and we'll do our best to help.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

android has also stopped accessing email on the app. i have tried the password ,management thing that didnt work, help please