Menu
tudoroaks
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

sysprem problems

Please, can anyone give some straightforward advice about the nuisance, pesky e-mails from sysprem. I already have already blacklisted them so they are diverted to my Spam folder but that doesn't solve the problem of cutting off these 25+ daily e-mails at source. 

I see from other messages that this company is causing huge problems to many Virgin media customers, so is it not possible to block them, permanently. 

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: sysprem problems

I have signed up for spamcop as advised in this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/How-to-report-spam-emails-from-sysprem/td-p/3927427

It is a bit fiddly to sign up, but easy to use after that.  My husband's address only gets 2-3 a day (I am the lucky one who is not on their list), but I feel better for reporting them and then going about my daily business.  The Superusers assure us that the Mod team has assured them that VM are working on a solution.Smiley Wink

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Superusers have consistently raised this issue with VM because on the surface they seem an easy thing to block. But when you delve into the technical detail it most definitely is not easy and there are risks that you could end up blocking legitimate mail. We know that the VM teams here and their partners in the Netherlands, where the mail servers are located with an affiliate company of VM, are engaged. 

We will just have to be patient but we are pressing very hard.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IMHO the issue here is Virgin Media (its parent company and partners) not moving with the necessary urgency to resolve this rather than technical prudence. As for the risk, VirusTotal shows:

2019-02-21.jpeg

No one should feel aggrieved if these emails end up in the Spam folder.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looking at my mail today, it doesn't look like they're sending with a From: address of sysprem.com anymore.

They are however still sending, looking through the mails I can see the same markers as before 😞

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tudoroaks
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for comments, yes, it would appear that the Spam is now coming from another source, customer-announce-request@lists.ubuntu.com>and I'm getting rather depressed that all these unwanted e-mails are flooding my computer. Even though they now automatically go to Spam, I still have to delete. I would be really grateful if anyone can advise how to block these e-mails at source.   

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@tudoroaks wrote:

I would be really grateful if anyone can advise how to block these e-mails at source.   

There is no advice we can give you. Only VM can block these from being transmitted through the system. We understand that they are making progress, though it seems glacial. And don't forget that every anti-spam measure that VM put in place will soon be discovered by the spammers and then got round. It is a never ending battle.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
veryolduser
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have noticed that the usual suspects now come disguised as mailing lists; at least when I try to mark as spam or block those that miss the VM filters (12 / day) I am asked to unsubscribe to a mailing list. Obviously if I do that is opens the door by confirming a live mailbox. I have set up filters but this just stopped the old syprem emails.

Fortunately Kaspersky on my desktop and even Microsoft Office Outlook pick these up as spam, so it can't be that difficult.

0 Kudos
veryolduser
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've noticed that the latest spam (same titles as sysprem) now come from newsletter@* so VM treats this as a newsletter to be unsubcribed from when moving to spam

@veryolduser wrote:

I have noticed that the usual suspects now come disguised as mailing lists; at least when I try to mark as spam or block those that miss the VM filters (12 / day) I am asked to unsubscribe to a mailing list. Obviously if I do that is opens the door by confirming a live mailbox. I have set up filters but this just stopped the old syprem emails.

Fortunately Kaspersky on my desktop and even Microsoft Office Outlook pick these up as spam, so it can't be that difficult.

0 Kudos