Menu
yakacm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

spam

Getting massive amounts of spam ATM, at first it was about Norton and Mcafee, but the last couple of days the emails are saying I have a subscription for something or other that is running out, or the emails are just nonsense, looks like the attacker script ain't working properly and is just sending out malformed emails, or it's saying I have loadsa viruses and need to do something about it. I know others are getting the same as they have posted about it here, I just wanted to chime in so that VM knows the extent of the issue and maybe does something about it. It would be easy to block if they were coming from a single domain, but they use a different domain every time, or at least they are using numerous domains, I have been blocking sender for each email I get.

Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: spam

Thank you for your post @Yakam 

We are aware of this issues and are looking at the best ways we are able to help. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
LS28Girl
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Same here loads of e mails from Norton, Bull, McAfee about subscriptions expiring and a Bitcoin account I don't have and a new one Funeral Payment Schemes[!] - all spam.  I'm getting totally fed up with it, it's been happening for 2/3 weeks now.   Given the nonsense addresses these messages come from surely it must be possible for Virgin Media to apply an algorithm to stop them even reaching our in boxes?   Yes I have been blacklisting the senders but like I say - why can't VM do it?

Rant over!

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi yacacm & LS28Girl,

It's an ongoing problem, but in the main, most scum-spam gets sent to the spam folder by using a filter. The Blacklist is a waste of time and effort, as the "from" addresses change too frequently for it to be any use.

Have a read of the instructions on how to set up the Single Multi-Spam filter, here -

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Filter-Syntax/m-p/4140622/highlight/true#M185395

Takes about 5 minutes to do.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
boothy99
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your alleged senders are most likely different than the ones I get sent, so add your own if you need to. I remove the part(s) of the addresses that keep changing, then only add the part that doesn't alter to the multi-filter. 

Add a spacer bar without putting a space between the parts of the list.

Spacer bar......     |

Here's the most recent additions from my current filter list that you could add, rather than the older ones on the link I sent. Just copy and paste ...

81.cn|audise.com|@tsongbrio|bwhhealth|@adhamdannaway|@allwording|@kuslarinselami|@giantlottos|snd.115promo|@haob.eupedesker|@ubi.com|@naturetoday.com|@e.ea.com|@tmstor.es|@bbox.fr|news.tulipsmail.eu|umberd.com|tvlicensing.co.uk.g|hargray.com|dealbistro.co.uk|hkjhkhj@|webmail.bell.ca|basogho.onthewifi|@giorgioss.com|@mail.com|bropuld.com|@viewdns|@razzball|@energysystem|@mthai.com|@zulu|@mightynetworks.com|@welshrugby.wales|@info.dealmates|@em.cowshed.com|@email.startribune.com|@moma.org|from@amazonaws.com|@openface.ca|@therdancer|from@telegram.org|onlineapplylearn|chatbot4u|cartimex|extremegb|@NextEmail.co.uk|@e1.llbean.com|@leveltimeshort|@individualdedicated|headlines@trib|latimes|CustomerService@Munchies|admin@turnoutpac|TUT.com|goodhousekeeping@|TermLifeAlert@|CryptoLibra|learning@ionbeamservices.co.uk|TestersKeepers|@trib|FlexibleDigitalSolutions|@uaonlineshop.com|microsoftstore@micserv|itcoin|from@privateserverspoint|@info.deal-mates|@tactical-timepieces

0 Kudos
LS28Girl
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for replying!

I'll take another look at how to set up filters (and your single filter) but to be fair I did take a look at how to do it and didn't understand what it was asking me to do because it seemed to be written in "programmers" language rather than in ordinary language!

It' s strange that it has only happened very infrequently - until now - so maybe I've just been very lucky.  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@LS28Girl
I'll take another look at how to set up filters (and your single filter) but to be fair I did take a look at how to do it and didn't understand what it was asking me to do because it seemed to be written in "programmers" language rather than in ordinary language!

I assume that you were looking at the link in Boothy99's post? It's an excellent piece of work by him but if you are completely new to using the VM email filter facility you might find it useful to look at this first https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-using-filters 

Also, just to clarify, the | symbol Boothy99 uses to separate the entries in the list is usually the upper case symbol on the  \  key on your keyboard. On most cases that is in the lower left corner of the keyboard beside the z key.

Hope that helps.

It' s strange that it has only happened very infrequently - until now - so maybe I've just been very lucky.  

That's the way spammers operate. Once they have your address they inundate you for a week or 2 but as long as you don't respond to any of their emails they eventually move on to fresh meat.

Also, you said in your earlier post "why can't VM do it?" 

An excellent question. As far as I am aware VM use a third party spam filter. Spammers have become more and more devious in the way their disguise their emails as legitimate correspondence so it is not as simple as it might appear to identify "real" spam.

However, having said that, other email providers seem do a much better job. I don't use VM email, I use Gmail instead and they seem to get it right every time, The feature I really like is that you can click on any email in the spam folder and see the reason why Google have flagged it as spam.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TryingToBeHappy
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the input, I will try this, also... 

This bout of spam is really distressing in its persistence.. frankly Virgin Medias complete silence on the matter is terrible - especially if these filters you suggest work! 

If we can do it, so can they  - so I assume they simply choose not to. 

If they are really inactive as they do not want to delete messages that are not, actually, SPAM as they have claimed - then simply marked them as spam and move to the spam folder for later recovery if necessary. Honestly, its just terrible. 

0 Kudos
LS28Girl
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me and expanding on my raised points.

Hopefully as you say the spammers will move on to pastures new but they are certainly persistent, if only VM seemed to be interested or concerned.  The comment by the VM Forum person just about says it all really - not impressed!

Finally I should add that of course all the spam e mails are forwarded to report@phishing.gov.uk

so they can be alert to some of the volume of these scam e mails and they can maybe get VM  being more pro active !

TryingToBeHappy
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

sigh.. set filter.. then got another one... have now added |@up.czfcamera  to the list.. 

I just want this to stop, now!