Menu
greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

smtp server not sending my email

Hi,

since friday I have not been able to send email, there appears to be a problem getting the smtp server to authenticate me. Problem is on my Outlook 2019 client and my Android phone, same smtp server authentication error. Posting from Web mail is fine, but I dont like to use that.

I have set up logging (as per this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...) in Outlook 2019 and can confirm Virgin media denying authentication, exerpt from log file below:

2020.08.30 18:41:55 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] AUTH LOGIN
2020.08.30 18:41:55 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
2020.08.30 18:41:55 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2020.08.30 18:41:55 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 xxxxxxxxxxxx
2020.08.30 18:41:55 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] *****
2020.08.30 18:42:00 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305) (VM305)

What needs to happen to get this sorted?

please advise

thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: smtp server not sending my email

You will need to start by reading through this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... 

Because that is exactly what has happened to you, your outgoing email is being deliberately blocked by VM because your home IP address has been identified as sending out spam. One or more of your devices has become infected with malware which is quietly sending out spam messages from your address and until it is found and fixed your address won't be delisted and hence you will be blocked from sending out mail.

Webmail works because it uses a different system.

greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, 

I read through that yesterday and have installed wireshark and monitoring just now. Seems odd as there was only 3 connections on the SBL in the last month which I have been blocked for, I have removed my ip from the list yesterday but still can't send email today and have zero connections on port 25 since yesterday...

0 Kudos
greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Turns out it wasnt what has happened to me at all, checked every device for malware last night, ran wireshark for everything connected and all clean. Had to get a different link to the removal page other than the first one I used (first one never removed anything or emailed a removal verification link) and email back up and running now. I think the logging methods used to collect ip's is mayby a tad strict and VM just kicking people of their servers without warning isnt helping.

Maybe a lesson to be learned here is not to just jump in and assume you have an infected device and start resetting everything unecessarliy, I have been using the same setups on all PC's and devices connected for years, the whole house knows not to download or accept permissions willy nilly and the entire network is pretty much well protected.

Saying that I will be keeping an eye on things as after some research on finding and getting rid of some malware/spyware I was doubting wether I had checked deep enough in each device, time will tell I suppose. I was finding my skills getting pushed to the limit on this one:)

thanks for the info

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@greig2000_uk wrote:

Turns out it wasnt what has happened to me at all, checked every device for malware last night, ran wireshark for everything connected and all clean.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is not necessarily so, I'm afraid. 😕

Spambots frequently 'go to sleep' for a while and stop sending spam in order to make themselves more difficult to find. If that sleep period lasts more than 24/48 hours your ip address automatically comes off the blacklist but it does not mean that everything is ok.

If / when it reawakens your ip will be back on the blacklist and you will need to go through the process again.

As far as I can recall, every poster on this forum who reported the VM305 error eventually found they had an infected device.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Which is why I wrote this 

Saying that I will be keeping an eye on things as after some research on finding and getting rid of some malware/spyware I was doubting wether I had checked deep enough in each device, time will tell I suppose.

👍

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

As you say, "time will tell".

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I think the logging methods used to collect ip's is mayby a tad strict and VM just kicking people of their servers without warning isnt helping.

Virgin Media don't collect the IP's, Spamhaus does, and they report that it takes more than one detection event coming from an IP before it is added to the Blacklist.

Technically VM aren't kicking you off their server, they are simply using the blacklist to gauge whether or not you should be allowed to send email via their servers.  Personally I don't think they should do this, BUT it does provide a wake up call to many.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yeh I should have said spamhaus' methods, thing is there was only 3 events listed on the SBL over a space of 4 weeks which to me is ridiculous. I dont know what each event equates to though, 1 spam message or 100, if its the latter then I agree about the wake up call, but virgin should be telling people what the problem is and where to find solutions... 

0 Kudos
greig2000_uk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Well time has told - I have an infection of some kind on my nVidia Shield TV streamer.

Would appreciate some input to finding the app as I dont want to reset the device if I can help it:

I have tested everything to death apart from my NAS and the shield. I have Wireshark runing on my wired PC and a seperate laptop with mobile hotspot and I remembered the shield was on wired connection and changed it over to wifi, I was convinced there would be no problem with the shield as there are no apps recently installed, not in the last 4 months anyway, I only stream from my NAS storage using Kodi, Disney+, Prime Video, Youtube and netflix. The only app I think was updated recently is Hikvisions "Hik-Connect" for CCTV camera, which I have on my PC and phone and both of them are clean so...

I dont know how to export the data from Wireshark and if needed by anyone who knows what they are looking at would love some direction on what to do.

In the mean time here are a couple of screen grabs of what immediately logged as the shield connected via wifi to my hotspot shared wifi , I dont know what im looking at but would like to narrow the culprit down in possible. As it stands there has been 45 packets recorded with Wireshark and no movement in the last hour despite restarting the shield and trying opening all apps on it.

1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos