Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

smtp not working nov 20th 2020

smtp blueyonder email using thunderbird,outlook or thunderbird stopped working (nov20.2

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: smtp not working nov 20th 2020

@billmscot2 wrote:

smtp blueyonder email using thunderbird,outlook or thunderbird stopped working (nov20.2

Not a lot of information to go on there.😊

Because you mention SMTP I am assuming that you are having problems sending emails.

Just to help the community identify the underlying issue can you confirm:

1) that you are using your own Virgin Media Broadband to send emails from a VM email address ending in @blueyonder.co.uk (please don't post the full email address)

2) that using Outlook and Thunderbird you can still receive but not send emails 

3) whether you can send emails if you use the VM Webmail service by signing in to your VM mail account directly from here: https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ?

If the answer to all of those question is "Yes", then can you follow the following simple steps please?

1) Find your public IP address from here https://www.whatismyip.com/ (It will be in the format  8n.nn.nn.nnn)

2) Type or paste your IP address in the IP box here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and click "lookup". Let us know if it appears in red as being listed in the SBL. (Do not worry if it is on the PBL or XBL lines - that is to be expected and is not a problem.)

Thanks.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yes, mine appears in red and is frustrating the hell out of me! Please help...

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@TheBoyGreen wrote:

yes, mine appears in red.

Ok, if the red text says that you are listed in the SBL that confirms what I thought.

On the other hand, if it says you are listed in the PBL then that is not the problem. Every home IP address is listed on the PBL.

The reason an IP address gets listed on the SBL is that a device on that home network has triggered your external IP address to be listed as sending spam.

That spam is not coming from your Outlook or Thunderbird email software, it is coming from malware,"a spambot", somewhere on your home network.

To find out which device the spambot is on you need to follow the instructions here :- https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

It could be on devices such as::

A Firestick that has had third party software added

Android devices with software from untrusted sources added.

PC's running Hola Free VPN

Kodi boxes

There is no point requesting removal until you have found and deleted the spambot.

The best way to locate it is by following the instructions in the link.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and ive read that link and 99.99% went straight over my head.

I've unplugged my firestick, I've deleted an app i use that was obtained outside of the play store (downloaded apk file) and i still can't send over 4g. 

The wifi looks ok but when I'm  out and about,  after lockdown, it looks like I'm no further forward.

This whole saga is dragging me down to be honest.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@TheBoyGreen wrote:

I've unplugged my firestick, I've deleted an app i use that was obtained outside of the play store (downloaded apk file) and i still can't send over 4g. 

If you have removed the spambot it will take a few hours for your IP address to come off the list.

There is always the nuclear option of doing a factory reset on every device attached to your network.😮.  I'm not recommending that, just saying it is an option. The best route is to follow the instructions in the link and use Wireshark to identify which device has the malware on it.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks .

The link was way too complicated for me, but thanks.

Hopefully things will pick up later today, but what I dont understand is why this is an issue now?

Thanks

TBG

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Let us know how you get on..I factory reset my old firestick, ran the wireshark scan as suggested on here and nothing came up on that or any other devices, so hopefully whatever it was has gone. I requested removal off list which was given, but still cannot send emails so not entirely sure that’s solved the issue.  You basically need to ensure the spambot is found and removed, otherwise you will end up back on the blocked list.  I would do factory reset to make sure on your firestick before applying to be taken off the list

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again but i don't understand why something connected to my wifi affects sending emails from my 4g?

I can send via wifi even with my firestick on.

Confused.com 

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@TheBoyGreen wrote:

I can send via wifi even with my firestick on.

Confused.com

Sorry, I misread your post 5 where you mentioned 4G for the first time.

So in your very first post were you referring to a problem sending emails via 4G?

It is difficult, indeed impossible to offer advice without knowing the details.

That is why in my very first reply to you I specifically asked you to confirm:

"1) that you are using your own Virgin Media Broadband to send emails from a VM email address ending in @blueyonder.co.uk (please don't post the full email address) "

and I went on to say "If the answer to all of those question is "Yes"," that you should check whether your home IP address was on the SPL list.

You never answered my questions but the fact that you came back and confirmed that you had checked your home IP address led me to think that you were using your wifi.

You have left me confused.com.

Clearly your home wifi will have no impact on your emails if you are using 4G. There have been cases where IP addresses on mobile networks have been blacklisted.

However, we need to go back to the beginning.

What error messages are you seeing on the email app on your phone when you try to send using your mobile network?

Coenoby

0 Kudos