Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

smtp failure icloud mail

I cannot send any mail via my icloud account using mac mail on my macbook. 

All gmail accounts working fine and icloud inbound mail fine but virgin keeps blocking my outgoing mail through icloud

Spent 2+ hours with apple engineer and icloud email/mac book is working all fine and no issues and discovered it as a virgin media issue, VM are denying access. 

This is error message...

The server response was: [removed]: Client host rejected: Access denied

Please help!!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: smtp failure icloud mail

Have you set up Mac Mail to use the icloud email settings as notified by Apple?  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have set up mac mail as per apple instructions, apple engineers have screen shared my mac and double checked all settings IMAP and SMTP are set to their specs. I have deleted and re-added accounts, I have signed out of my appleID and re-entered again to no avail and still get the virgin media access denied message when sending.

Ive checked for malware/ threats on mac and also checked mac in safe mode to see if I could fix the issue but nothing was flagged.

I recently joined VM (last 2 weeks) and cant be sure out going mail it has ever worked via icloud. I've reset my VM modem and checked settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In the error message, does it say which server was sending the rejection message? It does sound to me as if MacMail is trying to use one of VM's SMTP servers to send the mail out rather than iCloud and that won't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

In the error message, does it say which server was sending the rejection message? It does sound to me as if MacMail is trying to use one of VM's SMTP servers to send the mail out rather than iCloud and that won't work.

In the original post, now redacted by the mods, the ops external IP address and the VM head end details to which it was connected were shown.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is attempting to use the icloud server, mac mail is set up using iCloud System Preferences although I cant see these settings because they're automatically configured. When the error message is received it shows it has been attempting to use the icloud server but denied by VM. Ill post the error message again although it has previously been hidden by mod.

The server response was: [removed]: Client host rejected: Access denied

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

In the original post, now redacted by the mods, the ops external IP address and the VM head end details to which it was connected were shown.

The address given cpc1040...... is the reverse DNS entry for the customers IP address, if you ping that name, it resolves back to the IP address, which is why I flagged it again to the mods, Lucy had removed the numeric address, not realising that the rDNS entry gives the same information.

What I'm curious about is where that error message is coming from, all it's saying is that the particular address is being rejected - it doesn't sound like the messages returned from a VM server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Completely agree - I flagged the post as well because of the private details, which have now been re-posted!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Didnt realise that posting that error message would cause an issue/ personal data bread.

Anyway I have just now managed to fix the problem by resetting my icloud password again after a few attempts early on in the investigation! and now seems to be working, not sure if is just a coincidence but outbound mail seemed to work fine after resetting this despite not previously being flagged by apple or other resources online as a potential fix

0 Kudos