cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smtp.blueyonder.co.uk cannot send email

zedi66
Joining in

Hi I am unable to send email from my smtp.blueyonder.co.uk email account I only noticed this today is there a known problem which will be resolved. I am able to receive email I just cant send.

16 REPLIES 16

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst troubleshooting the issue send urgent emails via webmail

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. On a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that I ran the command and can't really see a VM error code in there.  Also don't understand what you mean by the redacted part?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Following curl returns VM320

> [REDACTED]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320) * Closing connection 0 * TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):

By redacted I mean remove any confidential / personal information in the resulting curl output, i.e. in the above example the text [REDACTED] replaces what looks like a string of random character but is actual a simple encoding of email address and password (aka authentication credential); the encoding aids transmission and not security so is trivial to decode.

Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
< 220 csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp ESMTP server ready
> EHLO Desmonds
< 250-csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net hello [MOD EDIT: Personal details], pleased to meet you
< 250-HELP
< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
< 250-SIZE 52000000
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250-PIPELINING
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250 OK
> AUTH PLAIN
< 334

< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user 

Hope this helps and is useful.  I still cant see anything like you sent above

Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com (212.54.56.51) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: disabled automatic use of client certificate
< 220 csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp ESMTP server ready
> EHLO Desmonds
< 250-csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net hello [MOD EDIT: Personal details], pleased to meet you
< 250-HELP
< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
< 250-SIZE 52000000
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250-PIPELINING
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250 OK
> AUTH PLAIN
< 334

< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user 

Hope this helps I still cant see a VM error

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The curl output suggests the text highlighted below is missing::

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

FYI: remember to replace username:password with your email address and password separated with a colon, and to only post the VM error code.

Hi zedi66, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues sending email. 

Can you confirm if this is not working for you and do what 用心棒 has requested?

Please let us know how it goes?

Kind regards, Chris. 

Thanks it has started working now I dont know how but somehow it fixed itself

Thanks for the update zedi66 and glad to hear this has now been resolved, if you need us in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob