cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server quota

ARG1UK
Up to speed

I recently migrated my emails to a new PC and decided that I would use a pop3 email account instead of IMAP as I was sick and tired of emails going awry folder quotas etc or just losing them for no reason. I want to be able to download them to my desktop pc pop3 account then delete them from the server as I had been doing for years till everything went Imap linked.

My issue now is this:

Although I have deleted the Imap account folders etc from my PC and the Imap folders from my virgin server when I log in online, It seems that neither has actually worked. The email "quota" when I log into virgin media email online is still showing I'm at the maximum 25Gb used even though there are no email folders nor emails there.

I need someone at Virgin to re-set that "quota" back to zero so I can then once again send and receive mail.

I called Tech support via 150 and they were as useful as a chocolate fire guard, talk about hopeless! when the customer know more than the so called Tech people it's time to pack it in. Take the customers money each month but when you need a little support it seems Virgin are always lacking.

Please someone at Virgin, in the UK read this and get back to me with help, for a tech person who actually knows what they are doing this should not be a difficult job but Virgin seem to make everything hard!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

In Virgin Media webmail go to Settings, Email, Behaviour, and enable Permanently Remove Deleted Email Messages. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

ARG1UK
Up to speed

I recently migrated my emails to a new PC and decided that I would use a pop3 email account instead of IMAP as I was sick and tired of emails going awry folder quotas etc or just losing them for no reason. I want to be able to download them to my desktop pc pop3 account then delete them from the server as I had been doing for years till everything went Imap linked.

My issue now is this:

Although I have deleted the Imap account folders etc from my PC and the Imap folders from my virgin server when I log in online, It seems that neither has actually worked. The email "quota" when I log into virgin media email online is still showing I'm at the maximum 25Gb used even though there are no email folders nor emails there.

I need someone at Virgin to re-set that "quota" back to zero so I can then once again send and receive mail.

I called Tech support via 150 and they were as useful as a chocolate fire guard, talk about hopeless! when the customer know more than the so called Tech people it's time to pack it in. Take the customers money each month but when you need a little suppost it seems Virgin are always lacking.

Please someone at Virgin, in the UK read this and get back to me with help, for a tech person who actually knows what they are doing this should not be a difficult job but Virgin seem to make everything hard!

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

In Virgin Media webmail go to Settings, Email, Behaviour, and enable Permanently Remove Deleted Email Messages. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Ill give that a go, thanks

Thanks for your help, unfortunately it still says 25Gb of 25Gb used even after your suggestion. You were more helpful in what you tried than 50 minutes on the phone to so called "Tech Support" and they still haven't sorted it! but I'm assured its been escalated and they will get back to me in 3 - 5 days! bloody fuming!

See this thread too (although if there really are no emails on webmail then I am stumped). 

I've been doing some other work outside but in the time I've been away from it after doing what you suggested it seems to have sorted itself out and I'm now  back up and running thanks to you with an empty 25Gb to play with. Why oh why Virgin dont actually get someone like you who has some clue as to what's going on with an idea of how to make things work is beyond me, probably because they couldn't afford you! . Cant thank you enough. I really appreciate your time & help. You have helped me more than  Virgin ever has.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ARG1UK I'm sure that you already know this but just in case you don't the way Virgin Media Mail handles POP3 connections is non standard.

It ignores any third party app request to delete emails from the server when downloaded via POP3.  So if you want to remove downloaded emails from the VM server you will need to log in via VM webmail to do so.  You will also need to use webmail to check on the spam folder for false positives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AFAIK the option ⚙ > E-Mail > Permanently remove deleted email messages applies only to messages deleted within Webmail, i.e. prompt to confirm permanent deletion.

Check there are no unsubscribed folders that could account for reported storage use. To do this:

1. select ⚙ > E-Mail > Change IMAP subscriptions …
  2. select ▸ to expand folder view and repeat until all folders are visible
  3. select all folder ()
  4. select Save
  5. review any folder selected in step 3 and delete as appropriate

NB if reported storage and/or folders do no reflect what you think they should press Ctrl + Shift + R to refresh page

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Yes, knew that and thanks  for your help