Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

sending files by email problem

Both my wife and myself have NTLWORLD email addresses and both use windows live mail. I am on Windows 10 and my wife is on Windows 7 She sent me a small wav file as an attachment. This arrived in my inbox 4 or 5 times. After a few seconds 4 of these emails deleted themselves leaving 1 in my inbox with the attachment. The other 4 I found in my deleted items folder with the  attachments

The email does not appear in the sent items on my wife's computer. One thing that happens on mine is the title showing in the viewing pane lists the subject plus the wav file name and followed by [1/4] in square brackets. Also I get the file name again next to an icon for Groove music on the email in my inbox, but all the ones in the deleted folder show an icon for  a program I use for video clip editing (video pad editor). I have never set either of these to open music files preferring to use windows media player which I am used to. I did check on here and found email settings for those of us still on NTL email addresses and changed those on both our computers ( POP3. and SMTP numbers and servers to virginmedia instead of ntlworld )  But it hasn't made a difference .

I know live mail isn't supported any more but am reluctant to change  email clients in case we lose emails stored in folders set up in my inboxes I run several accounts on my computer  for groups that I run or am a member of. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me sort this out

Regards frank

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: sending files by email problem

It is likely the sending email client was configured to split large files when sending and the receiving email client reconstituted them on receipt.

Concerning the application marked as handling the split  file types, it is just a reflection that the application is registered to handle that file type.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply I checked that and yes it was configured to do that so I switched it off and tried again. This time it won't send the file because the email is 30.3 mb , 5mb over virgins limit although the attached wav file is well under at 21.5 mb and there was nothing else attached to the email and just the word test in the main text area. As to the other , why does it show icons for video pad on some and groove music on others but doesn't show windows media player which is what I usually use? Is this some windows 10 update problem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Addition to my reply sent a few minutes ago I looked at the deleted emails and these show the attached emails as DAT files all smaller sizes also I checked the wav file size again its 22.3 mb Where has the extra 8mb come from  so that it's over the limit

Regards 

Frank

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A 22MB wave file once encoded for transmission will be roughly greater than 30MB; FYI read Base64 ― MIME. Consider using a service similar to Firefox Send to exchange large files.

It is likely what you are seeing is the application registered to handle that file type (extension) in Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Quezzers 

Depending on the settings in Live mail, it splits large attachments up using the behaviour you've described.  If both parties are using Live mail, this is not an issue as the receiving client will automatically stitch the DAT files together to make up the original file.

With regards to email size.  Because SMTP places limits on the data that can be sent (specifically it allows 7 bit data - values 0-127)  The creators of MIME had to come up with a way of encoding attachments (which contain 8 bit data values 0-255) in such a way to allow it to be sent using email.  This makes the data around a 3rd bigger than the original.

For example Ravenstar68 in base 64 is UmF2ZW5zdGFyNjg= - An increase from 11 to 15 characters (the = at the end being a padding character).

So a 22MB file can easily push the email beyond the 25MB size limit.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for explaining that. I have turned off the break  up files sizes in account settings on my wife's computer  (It wasn't turned on, on mine) We are both using live mail so perhaps I should turn that on again. What would you recommend setting the file size to? (I can't remember what the setting on my wife's computer was set at)

Also is there a better email client I could change to without losing emails in my several accounts inboxes and those saved in folders please?

Regards  Frank

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can export mail and contacts from Live mail using .eml format and then import it into another email program of your choice.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/all/windows-live-mail-2012-to-mozilla-thunderb...

You're not limited to Thunderbird BTW as many email programs will import .eml files.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos