Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

selective IP block

My IP is being blocked by Spamhaus as follows. I can receive all email and use the internet, but email using my two domain addresses cannot be sent. I can however send with my old Virgin address.

email error is:

550 https//spamhaus.org/query/ip/82.15.59.142

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: selective IP block

I would suggest you double check your sending settings are correct.

Spamhaus' doesn't block emails.  Rather they provide a list of IP addresses that shouldn't be sending mail over port 25 unauthenticated.

The only listing for your address on Spamhaus is the PBL (Policy Block List)  This list contains lists of IP addresses allocated via DHCP which should not be hosting mail servers.  Virtually all residential IP addresses should be on this list.  There are similar lists such as Spamrats DYNARATS and SORBS DUHL

While some mail services separate incoming and outgoing mail servers completely, others use what is known as smart hosts.  How these hosts deal with email traffic is as follows.

Clients sending OUTBOUND mail should connect on port 587 StartTLS) (or possibly port 465 SSL/TLS) Authenticated via username and password
Mail servers delivering INBOUND mail will always use port 25 (StartTLS or no encryption) with no authentication

If you are trying to use port 25 to send OUTBOUND mail, you are in fact triggering defences used to protect the INBOUND mail service 

So I recommend you check your outgoing settings for your personal domains.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you are on the PBL list then that isnt a block everybody who has a dynamic IP address will be on that list, it would be more of a concern if you were on the SBL or XBL list, the error you are gettting is not a block message.

The actual email error that you are getting is relay delayed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for this. My domain host (Tsohost) recommended port 465, but I can't specify that in Eudora 7 or 8. So I tried setting "If available, STARTTLS" under the Secure Sockets tab, and that got the error Negotiation failed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Why on earth are you still using Eudora anyway. 

It's not been updated in years and as such may contain security vulnerabilities that will never be patched.

If you must use it and assuming you are using Eudora for Windows - it might be worth having a read of this.

https://www.greennet.org.uk/support/diagnosing-problems-sending-or-receiving-eudora

About halfway down it tells you how to enable the ability to set ports.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I use it because I haven't yet found a modern mailer with the same lightning search, ability to organize multiple boxes for topics, friendly address book etc. etc. But thank very much for this and I'll take a look at greennet immediately.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've now set SMTP port to 465 as advised by Tsohost and followed the other GreenNet advice but still no joy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you are using port 465 then don't use StartTLS - the option may be use SSL or SSL/TLS

Alternatively use port 587 with StartTLS -  but either way make sure you are using password authentication

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - will do

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Eudora doesn't have those options, but I can't send with Secure Sockets set to Never either.

0 Kudos