Menu
Onesock
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

recover passwords from old hard drive

Can passwords be recovered from old hard drives?

My wife threw an old computer away that was used for accessing my virgin webmail account and I'm concerned that the password could be recovered and  used to gain access?

Appreciate your advice with this if anybody can help.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: recover passwords from old hard drive

Hello

Potentially they can be recovered from an old hard drive with a medium amount of technical knowledge ! II would surgest going around and changing the passwords.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Super solver
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Onesock wrote:

Appreciate your advice with this if anybody can help.

You can change your VM email password using the "Forgotten your password" link from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Onesock
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

Thanks for help, one last question:

Would that also apply to Web based email systems where you go online on another computer and log in and out?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Onesock wrote:

Would that also apply to Web based email systems where you go online on another computer and log in and out?

It is the online accounts that you have accessed from the computer that you have thrown away that are at risk.

However, you need to realise that it is not just your email accounts that are potentially at risk.

The password used for any online services you have accessed using that computer, such as online banking and shopping sites such as Amazon, could also potentially be recovered from the discarded computer.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer