Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

recent spam souced from a virgin email address

Just this week my old ntlworld email which remains active and connected to my virgin account (can not be removed according to virgin) has received 2 emails which stand out from the usual spam because they are from a virgin media email address advertising men's health and tv connected products. I will not disclose the address for as it is someone's email address but it is a  genuine virginmedia.com address listed as hacked on the have you been pawned site. Interestingly the "from" and "to" headers  are REVERSED, confusing the real sender,also it may be a blind copy as it is not addressed to my email but another genuine ntlworld.com email address which is also hacked.To get the senders address I had to check the collected address list, and it has a valid ip address of virgin media. The email also seems to be originally from germany berlin company VYRSTYLE.COM via hetzner online in the source code.

I have posted this so virgin are aware of the issue of spam from virgin address's.I have not listed the emails as it could be a violation of the data protection but they are from  a person named alex and sent to a customer called john but with the from and to cleverly reversed.

As well as this indirect email I also have had one email direct from vyrstyle for a primark gift card registration, so the virgin emails are all part of the same spammer activities continually changing the email source.

So not sure why this happens but have had other instances recently similar, so possibly someone has had their email hacked to use for spamming or spammers are using hacked data to hijak emails. Odd that I appear to  get email from a virgin media customer hiding their true identity and sending to me but with my address changed to another persons email address to add to the confusion. I never respond  or even forward to virgin as they usually contain spam and any interaction could infect my computer. The emails ip address used are not blacklisted. The spam is similar to all the other spam but grabbed my attention as it sourced via virgin this time, I also get spam from other sources,   gmail , tribelive , azure, reef2rainforrest, instapaper, softmaker, msgfocus, t-online, thedancer, vrstyle.

One of the gmail spam uses my own address as an email address using the first part of my ntlworld address. I have not used the ntlworld.com email since 2016 but it is still very active with spam most days.(I think it is the same spammer, as the spam arrives with other, the same day minutes appart)

I had forwarded the old email to my new virginmedia.com address I opened but I noticed the password no longer worked on either my virginmedia.com address or my wifes virginmedia.com address, although I was able to change the password with the security question easily, interesting that there is no email verification system for password changes, that would of course require a recovery email. Possible the spammer could track the forwarded  email as it all within virgin, but I no longer forward now, and  my passwords all changed this week, very strange events this past week. Also this week I have continually to do a robot check every time I log in to any virgin email. I suspect the spammer could be a hacker looking for data or information hiding behind spam emails, I have had persistant spam non stop on the old ntlworld.com address since 2016, but the virginmedia.com get no spam at all thankfully.

I continue to monitor my account linked address as it still may be linked to some old contacts which I change to my  new address, but I also  monitor for any fraud type activity and ignore the repeated fake tv licence renewal and similar emails and sex blackmail occasionally received I just ignore them all. I an surprised virgin do not investigate the problems with these old accounts dating back  to when the company was called NTLWORLD, many years ago before virgin bought the company or offer to change to a new address. Most people have probably changed their email address as I have but the old existing address is surely an ongoing security risk to account holders, I have had letters from virgin saying the account  linked email can not be removed or swopped or changed for technical reasons, so I just manage to live with it now by using a new email address and side-lining the old ntlworld.com address which is on many distribution lists online used for spamming purposes, I try to keep my new email more private and as secure as possible these days.

As mentioned in a  previous post by myself I wish virgin could adopt a 2 step security feature used by most email providers these days to ensure emails can not be hacked easily using sms for example.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: recent spam souced from a virgin email address

Thanks for getting in touch and outlining the issues that you've had with your email addresses and the spam that you have been receiving. I would like to take a look into your account to see if we can look into why the email address cannot be replaced.

I will send over a private message to you now, please can you respond with the requested details.

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

not received your message so have ticked reply box now

0 Kudos
Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Apologies, I will send over a private message now 🙂

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The forum team confirmed a primary email can not be changed or deleted, so the spam problem still exists,although it stopped for 4 days and then restarted on 15.01.20, my own solution is to set the spam filter under settings to mark as spam and go to inbox, the I add under settings, filter rules a set of filters that match the spam email address or part of it that is significant phrase or numbers that you wish to divert to a folder or discard which I am doing.if multiple fi.ters are used  do not forget to tick app,y rule any condition.I usually filter from, to, subject etc. Total email block can be achieved if the filter @   is used but that blocks all emails which could block genuine emails.

Add condition  from    ntl for example.

Add action   file select file or set to discard to block email

If more than one filter tick apply any condition

Note add condition @ will filter all emails to selected action

I also find numbers can be useful 0 to 9 to block addresses which contain a number.

SINCE I HAVE HAVE SET UP MANY FI.TERS ABOUT A HUNDRED, THE SPAM EMAIL IS REDUCE A LOT ALMOST STOPPED NOW.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THE SPAM AS VIRGIN CAN NOT DELETION OUT HACKED PRIVACY EMAIL, I HAVE TRIED 3 TIME,  SAME ANSWERED EACH TIME.

S subsequent rules I leave not ticked

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

update 20/01/2020    further recent connection to ntl (old virgin email address)

latest strange spam email has a missing mailbox  (missing_mailbox) so no collected address, they have managed to hide the sender address.

the email says you have been selected to receive 3 million for quatar foundation

it has a source of webmail.cyber.net.pk but received from unknown   ip address in packistan reserved for private use

also the reply address is a gmail address which contains a reference in to ntl very odd

perhaps the hacker/spammer is reading these posts on the community, my password would not work this morning so had to reset the community password.

I wonder if other community members are getting these emails also ???  please leave a reply post

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have had my virgin IP address blacklisted by sorbs and spamhaus since last year with 6 month blacklists. it is unusual because I so no reason  for this other than virgin themselves or something to  do with dynamic ip address.

also my ip was blacklisted for 3 days on the abusix last last year, perhaps this is due to somebody else spoofing my ntlworld email address for illegal purposes??

any one ese got this.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: recent spamsouced from a virgin email address

security  of the community posts is poor when a search online can bring up posts or even all posts if a search for member name is entered, so the public can view all comments even with no virgin account, although other forums are similar there is no privacy

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28,

Thank you for updating us. I'm sorry to hear you're having more issues with this. 

Our community is an open forum to help anyone who may have a related issue. 

Can I just confirm is the email address you're having with Primary email address?

^Martin

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Primary address yes

Not to worry,  my recent comments were just out of intetest and feedback to community.

I now just mo itor but ignore the spam.

Old email end up on distribution lists used by spammers so I have now other email address.

The primary email address is on hack lists.

I require no further action thanks.

A dns leak test this morning showed two servers connected, both virgin media but one was unknown country.

It happened after switch on and updates and green light on for a while on hub 3.

Checked hub settings all OK. 

Only lasted a short while and not since repeated, but never seen it before, may just be a fluke but will check regularly.

0 Kudos