cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password problems

billye
Tuning in

last week, Virgin emails were  down in this area for 3 to 4 days....... I have two accounts and both used to work along with the mail app on my Mac  since then, although I can view my mails on line with one of them, therefore proving the account is working, I cannot add it to my Mac mail app and no matter how I change my password for this account, it will not authorise in my Mac Mail app.... any ideas......  this is the same account that the moderators had weeks of trying to fix a couple of months ago

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.  The recent outage seems to have led to this new password being needed regardless of whether the webmail password has been changed or not.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.  The recent outage seems to have led to this new password being needed regardless of whether the webmail password has been changed or not.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

thank you Graham, I'll give this a try

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey billye,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email at the moment, has the help from Graham resolved your issues or do you need further assistance?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

billye
Tuning in

Well, to be honest Steve L, I got to the page and it issued a warning that  changing the password would cancel any password I had BUT I considered this and decided to go ahead, however when I clicked the reset password button, I got a message say "oops something has gone wrong at our end try again" so I did and got the same message.... life used to be much easier with NTL

Thanks for coming back to me billye, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

I recieved your message wanting my acct number name etc and when I press send it won't let me, it just keeps going on about the highlited faults and some html that has been removed

KPardoe
On our wavelength

I would like to know if VM actually sanctions and agrees with this approach and if so, why isn't it advertised widely?  I am a secondary email account and I can still access emails on my phone via Outlook and my tablet via mail.  I can't access webmail on any device and the Outlook on my laptop stopped working on 18/06/23.  I am concerned that if I follow the procedure outlined above, I will lose all access to my account.  The primary email holder has had no problems and hasn't had to change the password access.  That person also has no trouble using Outlook to obtain VM emails.

WHY hasn't VM made CLEAR statements about WHAT is going on and HOW to fix it?!?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KPardoe You can read VM's instructions regarding using third party email clients to access VM Mail here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account#device

frogman9
On our wavelength

As a seventy year old I find all this rather daunting...E mail has been useless since the work was carried out, I cannot connect to my Thunderbird account it keeps timing out I have changed passwords and I'm now in a worse postition thatn I was to start with. I can get my e mails through tto the Virginmedia client but if I had wanted to use this I would have done from the start.....very poor service from Virgin.