Menu
craibh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

outlook sends but will not recieve Ntlworld emails

I have used Ntlworld, and then Virginmedia, as my email for many years.I have 5 email addresses on my Outlook in Windows 10 on my PC.Two are Ntlworld and the rest Virginmedia addresses.About a week ago Outlook stopped receiving messages for one of the Ntlworld addresses  and a few days later  stopped receiving emails from the other Ntlworld address.Outlook still receives emails for the Virginmedia addresses and sends emails from all 5 addresses.

I have changed passwords for the two Ntlworld addresses and updated and checked the Account Details for these .However when i click on Send/Receive, I always get request for the password and than a receiving reported error message ( CCC92) that the the server rejected the login and that I should verify my username and password.I have tried anumber of ways suggested online to insert  Account Details but none have helped.I can receive and send emails from all five addrreesses on my iphone, and oldish Acer  tablet and a 12 year old Acer Netbook.

Any suggestions as to how I might get outlook working fully on my PC?Many thanks.

Craibh

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: outlook sends but will not recieve Ntlworld emails

Check your username doesn't have recent: before it in the account settings.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @craibh

Thanks for posting on our community forum! Sorry to hear about your issues.

Have you managed to check on the above advice from the very helpful @ravenstar68 ?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
craibh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

Very many thanks, seems to be working fine after removing"recent" .Have Virgin stopped using that ?

It was most helpful as I was away quite a lot . When I came back and ,I understood ,because of the "recent" in my user name  clicking on send and receive on my PC at home meant that all the mail which had reached my email at Ntlworld in my absence  was downloaded  to my PC, reagrdless of what I had done with that mail  when it came in on my netbook which I had with me in my absence.

Can I ask- am I correct in thinking that IMAP would give me  similar service, at least in respect of the emails which I had not deleted in my absence - but that POP3 without the "recent" addition will not?

Agaim my thanks.

Craibh.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No you wouldn't

recent: was a specific Gmail feature.  Under normal circumstances when mail was left on a standard POP3 server, it was available for any other POP3 client to download, as normally each client tracks what it has downloaded.  Under Gmail once one POP3 client had downloaded a mail, unless the next client  prefixed the name with recent: then the mail on the server was not downloaded.

So the removal of recent: WON'T stop the mail being downloaded by multiple POP3 clients.  In fact recent: hasn't done anything since 2015 - iit was just quietly stripped away.  This is no longer happening hence we now get authentication errors.

BUT POP3 IS NOT DESIGNED WITH MULTIPLE CLIENTS IN MIND

Just because you can use POP3 with multiple clients, doesn't mean that you should.

POP3 was designed at a time when storage space was far more expensive than it is today.  As such mailboxes were small, and the function of POP3 was to download and then remove mail from the server.  So when you download to multiple devices each has it's own mail store and if you want to set up a directory structure to move specific mails to, you have to manually do it on every device.

Furthermore Sent Mail is ONLY available on the device it was sent from as is the Drafts foldern and mail is ONLY downloaded from the Inbox folder on the server as POP3 itself has no concept of folders.

IMAP IS DESIGNED FOR MULTIPLE CLIENTS

IMAP4 (to give IMAP it's proper name) is designed with multiple clients in mind, it was designed for larger mailboxes where mail is able to be left on the server.

In IMAP the server acts as a central reference point, The folder structure on the server is downloaded to the email clients..  Furthermore any mail that's not on the server (such as Sent Mail and Drafts) is uploaded to the server when an IMAP client syncs it's mails.

Also when mail is deleted in one client, this change is sent to the server and then when other clients sync, they too delete the mail.

This means that all your devices are always completely in sync.  Although it also means that you need to make sure that you really want a mail gone before you delete it.

I personally would recommend IMAP over POP3 if you are using multiple clients.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

craibh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

Many thanks again, all very helpful.I suspect that you are quite correct re IMAP, and I shall explore the best way to switch ti IMAO with Ntlworld/Virgin.

Take care.

Craibh

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Because POP3 on Virgin Media has not properly implemented mail deletion on POP3 since 2015 (they've used a setting that merely hides the files from future POP3 transactions), currently changing over to IMAP is as easy as deleting the POP3 account and recreating it as an IMAP account.  You might however find mails on the server that you've previously deleted.

Tim

craibh
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Again,very many thanks.I shall go ahead and chnage.

Craibh

0 Kudos