cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one account - two passwords that work on different PCs

wunny
On our wavelength

Hi

Since it all went wrong on 19th June, web mail and email clients only work with different passwords.

I changed the password on my Virgin media account and using webmail it all works fine.

But email clients Thunderbird, Windows Mail (Win11) and on an old Vista PC still only work with the previous password.  I say work, the Vista Windows Live Mail will receive but not send. I think it needs one password to send and another to receive.

I use the Vista PC for sending invoices, the program only sends using Win Live Mail and it would be a mammoth task to manually transfer to another invoicing program. So I need to keep it

I've changed the password a few times to try to fix the problem, even deleting the account and adding it again on the email clients.  I've reverted to pop3, as IMAP folders will not download on the Vista Live Mail.

So, my question is how do I get to use just the one password for the email account?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's very difficult to know what to suggest whilst the major VM Mail issues continue.

Probably the best advice is to use VM webmail for the immediate future, however inconvenient, until the IMAP/SMTP server issues are resolved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wunny In short you can't due to a recent security change by VM.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

wunny
On our wavelength

Thank you for that,

I have followed that info, used the app password and now that email downloads on the Vista Live mail, but doesn't send. Two other NTL emails are just the same, receive, but don't send.

The Win 11 mail client still used the old password but I updated it and all is fine there, Thunderbird needed the app generated password and works fine.

So the problem is that the Vista Live Mail is not sending.

Puzzled!

I followed Graham_A advice about resetting my password in mailbox App password on Wednesday and “voila” my Outlook and iPhone account worked again. But since the essential works on Friday, after losing my email again, I can no longer send emails on the third party apps…?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's very difficult to know what to suggest whilst the major VM Mail issues continue.

Probably the best advice is to use VM webmail for the immediate future, however inconvenient, until the IMAP/SMTP server issues are resolved.

wunny
On our wavelength

Just an update, all now working, even the Vista Live Mail.  All historic emails re-instated.

Thanks for  all the advice.