Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

old virgin media email address bring fraudulently used

Hi,

I got a virgin media email address when I first took out broadband, TV, phone etc (all Virgin), years ago.  Then Virgin stopped maintaining their email system so I got all messages routed onto a gmail account.  That still works (I changed most contacts to my gmail account but some still run off my old Virgin email address and route onto gmail).

A few years ago, Equifax informed me that my details had been stolen in the great Equifax heist and they've given me free alerts ever since.  I've been plagued with fraud attempts using my details which I've mainly sealed off with "notices of correction" etc at all the main agencies - Experian etc.

One remaining black hole is my virgin media email address.  Equifax repeatedly tell me that someone (or multiples - these details are sold on) is trying to use that email address to make fraudulent applications.  They advise I should contact Virgin media for help - lock the account, delete it etc.

yet whenever i contact Virgin media I get someone apparently in a Philippines call centre who insists that Virgin has no record of my email address,even though I tell them that any emails sent to that address route onto my gmail address, so it musts still exist.

They stubbornly repeat this and give me zero help even when I say i am going to cancel all of my Virgin accounts and go elsewhere.

Can anyone, anywhere give me any help with this?  This is my last chance - every other avenue I have tried with Virgin has hit a brick wall. Either no answers to online contacts or a lengthy and exhausting call (always starting from scratch, never any case file opened that I can refer to by number) that ends up, post all the verification steps and misunderstandings, with "sorry, we do not have a record of that email address, we cannot help you".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: old virgin media email address bring fraudulently used

Hello there Fedupalot thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I'd like to send you a private message so that I can check on this email address for you.

I'll send this over now if you can please respond by clicking the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Emily!

Yes, I'm very happy to say that, thanks to your excellent help, the issue was fully resolved as far as Virgin could resolve it (it was never really a Virgin problem i.e. it started with the great Equifax data loss, which unfortunately included my own data that Equifax held, including my old Virgin email address).

But Virgin have now done as much as they can, in a very timely manner (its no fun knowing criminals have your personal data and are trying to use it fraudulently - Google "Equifax"  and "data loss" for the whole disgraceful story).

So thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's great to hear Fedupalot 🙂

If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos