Menu
rwjdingwall
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld, thunderbird and K-9 problems - authentication

I have been unable to download any mail to my ntworld address via either of my email clients for about 36 hours. I use Thunderbird on my desktop and K-9 on my phone. The error message is

Sending of password for user recent:r...l@ntlworld.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.ntlworld.com responded: Authentication failed.

The password is fine with the webmail access.

As far as I can see, this is a widely shared user problem at this time which has not been resolved - but points very much to something at the server end rather than the user end...but I would like to get it fixed because it is really inconveniencing my business!

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld, thunderbird and K-9 problems - authentication

Firstly, you might want to edit your post and remove your email address which you have helpfully provided for every scammer and spam merchant on the planet to scrape and use.

Secondly, the server address you are using is an old obsolete one, I believe the new(er) suggested address is pop3.virginmedia.com but if you have a look at the VM website in the help section it does give all of the approved settings.

rwjdingwall
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for spotting that security error - trying to do stuff in a hurry!

Have tried to change the server details in the past but ran into problems...will try again

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think it's a VM authentication problem - I'm using Thunderbird and K9, had authentication issues this morning, but all seems to be working now. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rwjdingwall
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Have updated the server settings as recommended by jem101 and Thunderbird has just pulled everything down from the server. Now for K-9...

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is also worth pointing out that the 'recent' prefix in the username field is a throwback to the Google Mail days and is entirely redundant in VM Mail.

There have a couple of similar posts today where removing recent has helped.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @rwjdingwall,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your email authentication. We are glad to see our community was able to best advise on this. Are all issues fully resolved? Do you require any further help?

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
rwjdingwall
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I updated all the settings as advised and the problem went away...There might be an issue for Virgin to think about in terms of communicating these changes to legacy users. Everything worked fine until it didn't and I discovered that some settings should have been changed several years ago! I am not the sort of user who is constantly logging in to the forum, or the Virginmedia site more generally, to check whether these things are happening.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As another legacy user experiencing similar problems, I strongly support the point that users should not discover these issues when 'one day it works, the next day it doesn't'.

My default email account still does not work with the up-to-date settings ...but my alternative identity email address (still out-of-date) does! 

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We are glad to hear your issue was resolved @rwjdingwall.

We can however understand the inconvenience this may have caused to you and other potential Legacy users. We will take this feedback onboard and pass this down to the relevant teams to be further looked into. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos