Menu
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld mail locked out

Locked out now for 9 days. Four phone calls four different reasons. On Thursday (4th) told to keep trying every 30 mins as engineer was working on it! Saturday morning still not working. Have run Malwarebytes scans and (Virgin recommended) F-Secure scans all with no findings of virus or malware. Loosing faith and wondering where to turn. 

No point in ticking email me when someone replies box!!!!

Any ideas apart from leaving?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
albob
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld mail locked out

Apart from suggesting you have a look at this sticky. Have you tried the 'change password' advice?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...

Many people are recommending setting up an email address with someone like Gmail or Microsoft outlook instead of relying on an email address tied to your ISP

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey @BarryClark,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your mailbox, I can see that you have spoken to the team and that they have logged a ticket with our support team, the ticket is still open and once its resolved the team will get in touch to advise that it has been completed.

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Steven

I am aware of its status but 12 days now seems excessive. Last Thursday I was promised it would be resolved in 48hrs and to try every half hour. Forgive me for being a bit pessimistic about future success!

0 Kudos
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks albob

I have tried all of the advice without success - hence the phone call.

I have both gmail and outlook accounts and even a rocketmail from 1997. However ntlworld since the start of the service as a dial-up, has been my main mail and so many of my dealings are on it. I need to get access to the mails before I can advise them of any change. I pay for this I would like it to work!

0 Kudos
albob
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

While it is of no help in your current predicament, it sounds like your email may have become 'orphaned'.....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

0 Kudos
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't think so - yet. I try to use it every day - and am still an active subscriber.

0 Kudos
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Further information: I called again this morning and went through the same nonsense rigmarole and was again told it would be "escalated to an engineer". I questioned the purpose of doing this again (for the 5th time) when the first four times have been unproductive and all there assurances of "service soon" or "within 48hrs" had not been met. He explained my account had be "locked" because of suspicious activity. I asked for more info and explained the high security on my PC and he could not elaborate. I told the agent I had no confidence in the system and needed to speak to someone who could actually do something or explain what had happened in a meaningful way> He said he could refer me to a manager - who also did not have access to the system, so could not really help. I agreed and was promised a call back in an hour - which, yes you guessed it - has not happened.

I guess I will have to call again and find another way to get past the layers of inaction.?

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm very sorry for any frustration from that call BarryClark. 

I have checked over your account and can see the ticket raised to the IT team is still being investigated. 

We will need to wait for that to be resolved. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
BarryClark
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Martin

I appreciated it had been "flagged" but two weeks seems a long time to to wait. Also too many "Will be done in 48 hours" and not done. Also a promised call back "within an hour" never materialised. It was suggested i could wait in from 08:00 to 19:00 for a phone call.  This is simply not acceptable. It reminds me of dealing with British Telecom, British Gas etc in the 70s. But Privatised Free Enterprise is so much better.

I made a further call and finally found someone who was willing to help. We set-up the account in the Virgin Media site in a browser.  When it started logging in I think I could see the problem. There were (literally) 1000s of emails from 2020 going back to 2015 in my inbox and in the deleted folder. They had not been visible in any of the PC or Android apps I use.  I guess something went wrong at the server end and they were not being deleted from the server despite not being visible to me. It took about 30 minutes to load and delete everything that had backed up. I decide it was best to purge the lot - rather that trying to find the few I wanted to keep. It seems to be working now. I can only guess that the massive volume of 5 years of mails - 2015 to mid 2020 - caused the hiccup. I hope this information may help VM and others as it may just not have happened to me?

Best wishes to all

0 Kudos