cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email

martinreid
Joining in

Does anyone know what is happening with ntlworld email since I understand Virgin Media took over responsibility? I spent over an hour on the phone with a rep in the Philippines who could not confirm anything other than 1) they don't know what the problem is 2) they don't know when it will be fixed 3) back office is working on it 4) I can't put you through to anyone whoi can answer these questions 5) they don't even know when Virgin took over responsibility for ntlworld email 6) I can't make a complaint about this by phone.

Is there a moderator who can shed some light on this?

Many thanks

Martin

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@martinreid  question five: ntl and Telewest merged in 2006 and following their takeover of virgin.net the combined entity rebranded as Virgin Media in 2007.

As to your other questions: what issues are you having with your Ntlworld email address?  Do you still have a VM broadband account and is the email address concerned attached to your current broadband account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham. Issue is: my (elderly) sister-in-law has had ntlworld email for many years, no problems. Since 16th June email dried up, nothing since. She can’t remember the original password unfortunately and has never changed it so can’t simply reset it. Incoming and outgoing servers have changed to virgin and look correct. She can’t log in to virgin media (web) because she doesn’t have the password. Password recovery won’t work because security questions were never set up so we’re looking for another way to recover the email account. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@martinreid  The best way forward is to wait for the VM Forum Team staff to respond to this thread, which they should do tomorrow.  However they will need to clear some security questions with your sister in law so they may ask if she can set up an account on this community.  Alternatively she will have to go through the telephone support route which can be torturous.  The option to select is technical support> email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @martinreid,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that your sister in law is experiencing some issues with her mailbox! 

Can you confirm if your sister is an existing Virgin Media customer, or if she's no longer a customer? 

Has she taken a look at our Login Problems page to see if this can help rectify the issue? 

We would not be able to discuss your sister in law's mailbox with yourself as we need to speak to the account holder about this. Please encourage your sister in law to contact us on 150/ 03454541111 or message us on WhatsApp on 07305327112. She can also create a Community Forums profile so that we can look into this further for her.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dear Paulina

I don't believe she is a Virgin Media customer or has never been, her email account is with ntlworld. Therefore she does not have a VM login.

Yes we have searched all the help pages and not found a solution to being locked out of the ntlworld account.

She has not been able to receive or send email since 16th June. Can you please explain what is the issue with ntlwworld email, what is being done to fix it, and what is the target date to resolve the problem.

We spent over an hour on the phone yesterday, and a chat which moved to Whatsapp until 21:02 last night and was eventually cancelled at 07:48 this morning with resolution.

Clearly an outage of this magnitude is unacceptable, and having not been given any advice to recover the ntlworld / virgin account details the only viable solution we can see is to leave and go to Gmail.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virginmedia has been closing down email accounts that are not linked to a broadband account. You will have to open a new email account elsewhere.  It's explained here... 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @martinreid,

Thanks for coming back to us about this issue. Some customers are experiencing some issues accessing their mailbox at this moment. However, if your sister in law is not a Virgin Media customer, there is a chance that her email has been deleted. 

Please take a look at the Orphan Email Accounts post made on the Forums. If you're not an account holder of a Virgin Media Broadband account the mailbox may have been deleted. 

All email accounts which are not attached to an active accounts are being deleted by our IT teams. 

However, if the account holder got in touch with us, we'd be able to look into this a little further and see if the mailbox is still valid to grant the account holder temporary access before the mailbox is deleted if it has not been already.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs