cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email

Mazz67
On our wavelength

Email not working asking for password trying to reset but forgotten answer to security question.  No other option to get over this?

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mazz67 wrote:

No other option to get over this?

Providing you know the password to your "My Virgin Media" account (that's the one were you can view your VM bills and package details) you can reset your email account password from there.

• Sign into your "My Virgin Media" account, (that's the one were you can view your VM bills and package details) from here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn 
  • The MVM account interface is being updated but at the moment once you have signed in you need to click on "Account settings" then "Account details"
  • If the problematic email address is your primary address it will be displayed on that page and you can change the password from there
  • If it is a secondary email address you will need to click on the "Manage accounts" tab and select it from the list
  • Once you have selected the address, click on View/Change to the right of the address
  • Then click on Change to the right of password and follow the instructions

Be sure to change the password to something you have not used before. Once you have changed it there is no need to wait 2 days but best to leave it 30 minutes before trying to access the email account to allow time for the change to synchronise across the VM servers.

Try that and see if it works for you. If not, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) can arrange to get this sorted for you. Post back how you get on with the password change.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mazz67
On our wavelength

Thank you for the advice.  I called Virgin and a very nice man changed the email password for me after a lengthy conversation as I have a hearing loss and he had a strong accent!  So now have a temporary email password, his choice, and need to change it to my choice in my account.  Trying to log in but it's not recognising my stored password so going through security question re my account and details of my last bill before I can get in.  Entered everything and double checked but still not recognising me.  Trying to get help through the pop up and only get join us on whats app (I don't have a mobile phone) or go away!   I am old but use the internet daily and this account is the only one I find very confusing and difficult to navigate, will have to seriously consider leaving I think.  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mazz67 wrote:

"will have to seriously consider leaving I think".  

In fact you don't have to leave Virgin Media. Just stop using their email and switch to using a better independent email service. I have been a customer of VM since before they were VM and have always been very happy with their broadband and tv services. However, t I have never used their email service.

There are many free  email services that you could move over to.  See here for a review of the best https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

In truth the Virgin Media email service is a very basic one that does not seem to be high on VM's list of priorities. That's no surprise because they are first and foremost a cable internet and tv company not an email provider.

Switching to another email service such as Gmail will not only give you a more reliable, more secure and better supported email account but you will be able to carry on using it with any Internet Service Provider you use in the future.

Just as a side note. You are probably aware that "Virgin Media" has now become  "Virgin Media O2" . Their new partner, O2, used to offer free email accounts to all O2 customers but closed them all down back in 2013 and no longer provides an email service. I sometimes wonder whether VM regret not taking that step with their email service.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Mazz67
On our wavelength

Thankyou.  I have been given that advice before about changing emails and will do it now!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mazz67 wrote:

will do it now!

Take your time looking at the various services that are available - you can even set up accounts with a few of them and check them out to see which best suits your needs, I use Gmail but it it is not everyone's cup of tea. 

The point is it's your choice which one you go with rather than having an email service foisted on you by your internet provider. Go with the one that you feel most comfortable with and which best meets your needs.

You won't regret it.

Coenoby