Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email password

I need to upgrade to windows 10 and the IT chap has asked for my password to my email account so he can include this in the upgrade and transfer all messages to my new account. I can't remember as I set up the ntlworld email over ten years ago. How can I find this, I have tried settings but there must be a way on the computer of finding it.  Virgin Media can't really help as they only have the details for Virgin not ntl. Can anyone advise please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email password

VM uses a single sign on for media services and the primary email address.  They still manage ntlworld, blueyonder and virgin.net email addresses.  If you are a virgin media customer, it is the same as your account sign on.  After you have told the password to the technician, you can change your own password for security reasons, and also of any secondary email addresses.

Simply sign in to your virgin media account https://my.virginmedia.com/home/index

and go to the My Profile tab, or manage accounts tab for secondary addresses.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you MissPasko but my partner has the VM account. The password required is one from my original setting up of ntlworld so completely different from the VM single sign on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Hornet1.

We would need the details of the account you created the NTL email address on to do this, if this is on a closed Virgin Media account the only action we'd be able to take would be to delete the email address from our systems as this should have been deleted 90 days after the account was closed. 

You can check if this has been transferred to your current Virgin Media account by going to the Manage My Mailbox area of your online account and if you can see the email address in question you'll be able to reset the password here.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'd just like to add this link, which might help explain things for you and your partner:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

There are ways to sniff out the password on some devices (I don't know personally, but others on this forum have mentioned it).  But I'd encourage you to get your ntlworld emails backed up and then take up Emily_G's offer to delete the address, to protect your personal and financial data.  Then start using another email service not linked to any ISP. (I am assuming your email address is NOT a secondary address on your partner's virgin media account.)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@hornet1 wrote:

....the IT chap has asked for my password to my email account so he can include this in the upgrade and transfer all messages to my new account.

How can I find this, I have tried settings but there must be a way on the computer of finding it.  

Just to follow up on MissPasko's mention of sniffing out the password. If you have been accessing your email by logging in to your Ntl email account through VM Webmail via a browser (to clarify, the sigin screen looks like this):

vm email sign in.png

Then the first thing to try is to check if your password is saved in your browser which it wiil be If the password box normally comes up prefilled with a row of dots.

To find out how to do that just do an internet search with the phrase "how to see saved passwords in xxxxxxx" where xxxxxxx is the browser you use, Chrome, Firefox, Edge or whatever.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer