Menu
derf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email not being received

the issue that I am referring to relates to a different email address, though both belong to the same virgin account. the email address with the problem starts with gw - for anyone from virgin investigating!

emails are not being received to the inbox for about a week but strangely emails which are genuinely junk have been received in the junk folder. also emails can be sent ok from the same email address. this has been thoroughly tested by sending test emails between the 2 addresses, using different email clients - IPAD, emclient and by logging onto virginmedia.com

any ideas? change in settings?

any support will be much appeciated

(there is no point using the offending email address for this as emails will not be received!)

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld email not being received

It would be a good idea to follow the advice in this help page virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked just in case.  Pay particular attention to section 4 regarding autoforwarding and filters.  It is not unknown for rogue forwarding rules to be set up redirecting email to another address.  This would not pick up mail tagged by the system as spam, which might explain why you still receive them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

derf
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks graham. thought that might have been the answer but just checked and the autoforward is blank

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did you check filters as well?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

derf
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yes I've checked the filters -seem to have hundreds of them with all the junk email about, nothing suggests it is that.    think I might delete them all and start again!  similarly for the blacklist.

I have set up a autoforward email address, tested it and received the email ok though it has not kept a copy on the the original address but hopefully we will not loose any more emails.

thanks for the mention of aotoforward, I was not aware of that

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@derf wrote:

received the email ok though it has not kept a copy on the the original address

Look again at the autoforward set up page and you will see underneath the box for the target email address there is a check box to "keep a copy of the message". Tick that it and it will do exactly what it says. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
derf
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the interest.  I did check that box deliberately to see if the test message would be kept - I assumed it would be in the inbox but it just confirmed that nothing is not being put in that box. cheers

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@derf wrote:

I did check that box deliberately to see if the test message would be kept - I assumed it would be in the inbox but it just confirmed that nothing is not being put in that box.

That's odd. I have just tested it with my ntlworld webmail account.

I set up an autoforward to my main (non VM) email account and ticked the box to keep a copy. A test email to my ntlworld accont was duly forwarded on and the original email is sitting in the ntlworld inbox. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
derf
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I did a similar test, this time reversing the original test by putting the email address for which I could not receive emails as the autoforward address in the settings for the one that is ok, with the keep box ticked.  Sure enough the test email was kept but not forwarded which again confirms the problem with that email address being able to receive emails.

on e again thanks for your interest. 

Any ideas will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
derf
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

RESOLVED this problem has finally been resolved.

the solution has been to disable all the filter rules that I had set up for trying to reduce junk email.  I started to receive email before disabling all the rules but thought I may as well do the lot anyway. not sure whether the filter rules added anything. I also deleted all blacklist entries for good measure.  now I just delete all junk email when I receive it.

I think virgin could improve this by simply putting a warning out if there are too many filter rules or stop you creating too many (like they do for the blacklist entries)