forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
ChrisCross123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld email, can send but not receive

Everything worked until last week, when I had some suspicious emails, supposedly from Amazon, saying someone in malaysia was trying to hack my account.

So, just to be safe, I updated my email password (I'm a legacy customer using ntl) and since then it has stopped working. Sending works, but receiving doesn't, the error message says it can't log in to the server (pop.ntlworld.com) because authentication failed.  I've tried to get a VM error number but haven't managed so far.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email, can send but not receive

It is possible that the hacker has set an autoforward rule or a filter on your account to divert incoming emails to them.

Follow all the advice here: My Virgin Media account has been hacked | Virgin Media

Auto forward is explained in point 3 of the article but you should also check for filters the setting for which is a few lines below the auto forward settings.

You need to sign into webmail to check these settings: https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisCross123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham. Problem is, I can't sign in to my ntlworld email account at all.

I get a big warning message that basically says "could not connect to transport server smtp.ntlworld.com, validation of POP3 credentials is disabled due to possible login restrictions by provider.."  If I ignore that warning, it shows a new email account but it is empty and I get a message saying the login details are incorrect.

(The family VM account has three email addresses associated with it, I tried to set mine up using the same details as the one that works).

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You will only see those types of error message when using an email client or trying to see the emails via another webmail account.

Make sure you are completely signed out of any Virgin Media account.  Then go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and enter the email address concerned and password.  If the account is still valid this will open up the webmail page where you can check the settings for rogue forwarding and filters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ChrisCross123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I just did that and it says my mailbox isn't available at the moment and to please try again in one hour.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That means it has likely been locked by VM security due to the hacking.

You will need help from the VM Forum Team to get this resolved.  They will respond here in a day so, possibly sooner.

They will want you to change the password for the account, but you say that you have already done that.

ChrisCross123
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can live with that. Yes, I have changed the password, but it isn't a problem to do that again.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisCross123,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you have received some suspicious emails and since been having some issues with accessing your email account.

I've popped you over a PM so I can take some further details and will look into this for you from there.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisCross123,

Thank you for letting me know via that the issue has now been resolved, I'm really pleased that you can now access your mailbox again.

If you have any further problems or need anything else please don't hesitate to get back in touch 🙂

Kind regards.

Beth

0 Kudos