cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email account hacked

johnd32
Joining in

My ntlwortld email account was hacked in march and after trying to get it shut down i was told it couldn't be closed.  I changed the passwords and cleared all old messages and activity stopped.  In the last month someone has used the email to order phones from O2 and a broadband hub from Virgin media.  I see the emails from O2 and Virgin in my inbox but there are no sent messages.  The orders are not in my name and the bank account showing in the O2 emails is not mine.  I am not sure what I can do to stop this fraud as I cannot close the account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @johnd32 thanks for getting back to us.

I can see that you're liaising with my colleague Gareth. I will therefore leave you in his very capable hands. 

Regards

Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi johnd32,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your ntl world email account.  I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L 

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I forgot to tick the send an email notification of replies so have been looking in my Gmail inbox for notifications which are not there. Just posted again today because the the security team blocked the account last night.  Asked me to change myvirginmedia password in account settings which I’ve done again.  It then asks me to change the ‘app email’ password in the email link button in my account but that link is not there.  I’ve never used a separate password for the two logins.  I did have the ntl email in my gmail app but it disappeared at the time the account was hacked in March.  

Hi @johnd32 thanks for getting back to us.

I can see that you're liaising with my colleague Gareth. I will therefore leave you in his very capable hands. 

Regards

Lee_R

I have had the same issue. My ntlworld email was hacked and the address used to log into Amazon and others. I was on the virgin media website and on the telephone support for 6 hours. They managed to re-secure my Virgin media log in but had no idea what to do about the NTL legacy stuff. I had to explain that I had signed up with NTL in 2001 and the company absorbed by Virgin Media some years later.  The operators, although as helpful as they could be, seemed unable to assist. I have closed down all the accounts and credit cards I can think of but I know the hackers can access all sorts of things, like messages and insurance documents.

Can anyone resolve this? Thank you

Hi there @Brighteyes1 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see that the team have been unable to assist with this issue. I'll certainly be happy to see what can be done to help.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Brighteyes1,

Nathan is currently out of office so I've assigned this to myself to gain an update.

I've dropped you a PM so we can discuss further.

Regards,

Kain