Menu
hope2win
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld e-mail won't send or receive

I have 4 ntlworld e-mails.

The main Virgin Media Mail address which is listed on my profile as linked to my Webspace.

Also 3 additional accounts.

All had been working fine for ages, accessed via Thunderbird using pop3.virginmedia.com and the correct ports etc. as per help guides.

Suddenly, 2 days ago, the main address stopped working.  It will not send or receive e-mails, yet the 3 additional addresses all continue to work fine?

They have exactly the same settings in Thunderbird.

However, when trying to get mail for the account in question I receive the message "Sending of password for user [e-mail address] did not succeed. Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed.

Then it asks me to retry or enter a new password.  I've checked the password and re-entered it but no joy.

Similarly, I cannot send an e-mail from this account as it says Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com with username [e-mail address] failed.  It then asks me to enter a new password.

I can see via webmail that i am getting new messages that Thunderbird isn't downloading.  I also managed to send an e-mail via webmail that arrived successfully.

I haven't changed my password so am at a loss as to why this is happening... and moreso because it's not happening to every ntlworld e-mail address I have.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ntlworld e-mail won't send or receive

Top marks for explaining properly what is going on and what you are seeing. You've made the job of those who come here to help so much easier. Well done. And Kudos to you.

We are almost halfway there to solving this. We know it is likely to be an authentication error on your main address when the data hits the VM mail servers. Now we need to discover what the exact error is.  There are too many possibilities to just guess or to work by a process of elimination. T/Bird errors tell you a lot but they don't tell you the exact cause. So read this, and follow the guidance on getting the T/Bird mail log. Then come back here with the VM error code (VMxxx) and we'll advise what to do next.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hope2win
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response, very much appreciated.

I think I've managed to create the log as directed and in the file it has the following line.

[(null) 6416: Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well done. Perhaps you'd like to join us in giving advice on this Forum? Spot on result.  And it is not the worst VM3xx error we could have seen. The error means that the server at VM's end is not recognising either your username or password. Check your settings. The username should be the full e-mail address for that account if you are using the virginmedia.com settings - which you should be. 

Try a password reset in My Virginmedia. It can be the case that the passwords get out of sync on the various servers used to hold them. Go into My VM and change the password for the main account but use the same password. That should cause the servers to resync and remove the issue. 

If that doesn't work come back here and we'll ask the VM team to get the techies to take a look at your account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

hope2win
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Solved.  Thank you.

After reading the log you helped me generate, I was confused as to why there was a VM300 error indicating an incorrect username/password when I knew I hadn't changed anything for this e-mail in Thunderbird.

I was also confused as to why I couldn't find an option to change the password for the primary e-mail that was similar to how the secondary account passwords are changed.

Your latest post helped, as did an older post to another user (coincidentally also by you) which said...

"If the e-mail address is the primary e-mail address then the password for VM web mail log-in and the password to get into My Virginmedia which is where the OP can manage her passwords are the SAME. If she has forgotten one she has forgotten the other by definition. The only time the passwords will be different is if the e-mail address is a secondary account which has been set up that way."

I changed the My Virginmedia log-in password a couple of days ago and hadn't made the connection that doing so would change the password for the primary e-mail address.  In my head they were separate items simply because I use a different e-mail as my username so didn't connect the two...

As I could still log-in to My Virginmedia without an issue, your posts helped me realisedmy mistake.  I changed the Thunderbird password to match the My Virginmedia log-in and hey presto, all fine.

Thank you for your clear advice which helped me figure out the problem (which was ultimately me) and apologies if you feel I wasted your time. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well done for following this through to a successful resolution.

Rest assured that you haven't wasted anyone's time.  This is precisely the sort of issue that the Community is here to help with.

You know where to come if you have any future issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@hope2win

Well done. I endorse every word that Graham has said. But you did brilliantly. You were a pleasure to help. What I do want to add is this, mainly for the benefit of others reading this Forum and for complete clarity . The password in MyVM must always match the password you use in any e-mail program like T/Bird. That is because the password in My VM is distributed across all VM servers for My VM use and e-mail, including web mail, use.

Don't be a stranger to the Forum.

0 Kudos