Menu
Huwbedoo
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com emails cannot be reached via mac since weekend

Since weekend of June 6/7 2020, using outlook on mac with latest OS, our ntlworld.com email account was faltering in connection. Connecting via Virgin site initially for first two days, orange server unavailable signs came up, but today it seems stable.

I removed the account from Outlook and entering the same server info, it won't connect at all. Tried using both imap.ntlworld.com and smtp.ntlworld.com as well as imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com both with SSL enabled and disabled, nothing! 

Outlook is working fine as my work email account is on there and steady.

Never happened before in all time having ntlworld.com address

HELP!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com emails cannot be reached via mac since weekend

Some questions to aid diagnosis.

Is your Ntlworld email address correctly linked to your current VM broadband account?  The best way to check this is to sign into My Virgin Media with your primary username and look for the email addresses shown under the My Profile and Manage Accounts tabs.

Can you access the email account via VM webmail at https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Huwbedoo
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham.

Yes, all working correctly as you requested.

Just tried to set up ntlworld.com account once again this morning in Outlook, doesn't want to know!

thanks

Huw

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mistakenly sent by PM by @Huwbedoo  reposted here.

HI Graham

I wrote to you last week re this problem and you asked me to check connectivity at VM and I wrote back to say all good but heard nothing more.

Basically, is there an issue, since last weekend with ntlworld.com server please?.

We used the following settings absolutely fine in Mac Outlook using High Sierra OS for years with

imap.ntlworld.com - incoming server using SSL to Port 993

smtp.ntlworld.com - outgoing server using SSL to Port 465

So I removed the account after the problem. Now if I get Outlook to find our email address it finds

imap.virginmedia.com 

smtp.virginmedia.com

But even that doesn't work!

Our Mac Outlook is fine as my work account goes through it and there's no problem with that account so it must be at the virgin end, yet mail2 is fine with VM. I notice in VM service status, when you click on any email problems, every email account, VM, Ntlworld, Blue Yonder say Oop we're working behind the scenes etc. Like there are errors on all these old accounts? 

HELP!

ta

Huw

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There were issues at the beginning of the week but they have since been resolved.

As you can access your email directly from Virgin Media webmail the problem is either with the settings you are using in Outlook or a password issue.  Sometimes the databases get out of sync and an account will work on webmail but not via a third party email client.

Try changing the account password.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

0 Kudos
Huwbedoo
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Graham changing the password was the right thing to do!

Maybe next time there's such an issue, a quick statement to that effect from VM would go a very long way.

Huw

0 Kudos