Menu
T-Man
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

ntlworld.com email hacked

Hello,

I need help with my ntlworld.com email account as the password is being used by hackers to gain access to other online services. I can still get my emails via outlook, but cannot find any online way to change my password.

I am still a Virgin Media customer, but the account is held in my wife's name. When speaking to customer services they have no record of my email address.

Many thanks,

Neal

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld.com email hacked

@T-Man wrote:

but cannot find any online way to change my password.

You could try resetting the password by clicking on 'password' in 'Forgotten email or password' in this link.  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ .

You will be asked for your email address (username) and then be asked for the answer to the security question that was set up on your wife's account. You may have to type the answer in UPPER CASE for it to be accepted.

Failing that you will have to wait for this post to be picked up by one of the Forum Team (VM employees) but they will only be able to help you if the VM broadband account is still active. However, you or more likely, your wife (as the account is in her name), will have to pass security before they can reset the password for you.

Coenoby

Edited to add just for completeness if your account has been hacked you need to follow the advice here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked  but even that is not enough!

As well as the advice from VM you should:

1) check there are no filter rules set up because they can divert your incoming emails just like an autoforward.

2) in addition to changing your password you must change your security questions in your 'My Virgin Media Account'.  Without doing that there is nothing to stop the hacker using the 'Forgotten your password' link to regain access to your email account.

3)You also need to check your other online accounts linked with your VM address such as Amazon, Ebay etc for fraudulent transactions.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
T-Man
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help Coenoby

But when I try to change the password to the email account, the email address cannot be found!.........ntlworld.com (I can put the first part in if it's safe to do so) I am really worried, I have had numerous accounts effected by this - I am now also getting threatening emails!

I am not on my wife's account.

Neal.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@T-Man wrote:

(I can put the first part in if it's safe to do so)

It is not safe so please don't.

I am not on my wife's account.

Forgive me but that rather contradicts what you said in your first post "I am still a Virgin Media customer, but the account is held in my wife's name."

That leads me to think that your email address was previously associated with an old, now closed, Virgin Media broadband account rather than the current one in your wife's name. If that is the situation your email account will have become an orphan account and VM may be in the process of closing it down.

Can you still access your email account by signing in here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  If you cannot access  the account from there but you are still seeing your emails in Outlook that strongly suggest the account is in the process of being closed down.

Finally, if you enter your email address herehttps://mailtester.com do you get "E-mail address is valid" or "E-mail address does not exist on this server"

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Joebot
Joining in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm Neal's friend (from real life 🙂

I was trying to help Neal with his email situation yesterday and suggested that he post here having not had much luck with the telephone support.

I think the reason that Neal said he's not on his wife's account is because when speaking to VM support, they say they have no record of the email address and it doesn't show up on his wife's account. However, from what he said, I think it probably should do.

My understanding is that they were with NTL and the family have been using their ntlworld.com email addresses since that time. It seems to me that when VM took over, they only linked one email address to the new VM account, and the other addresses used by the family have indeed been orphaned, however, they have continued to work for the past 10 yeasr plus (which I can verify having emailed Neal for many years 🙂

So, I don't think they can be in the process of being shutdown (unless it's a very very slow process!), but the orphaned address should be linked to the VM account so they can be managed. I have to confess, I'm not a VM customer, so I am not exactly sure how this works, but assume there must be a mechanism.

In the very short term, I think Neal just needs his password changing urgently so he can regain control of his online accounts.

I hope this helps!

Joseph

0 Kudos
T-Man
Tuning in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

When I type in the email address - it's not found, but it exists!!

Mail server found for domain:
- mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net (priority 1, ip address: 212.54.56.11)

Mailserver identification:
mx5.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net mx5.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net ESMTP server ready

E-mail address is valid
0 Kudos
T-Man
Tuning in
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

When I click on the link, it's not reckonised!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Joebot wrote:

I hope this helps!

It certainly does so thanks for that.
You have confirmed what I thought after piecing together what T-Man Neal said over his two posts.

Just to clarify I am not a VM employee, just another customer, a community member trying to help.

It definitely seems that the email account that T-Man is referring to has become orphaned. Once a broadband account is closed then any email accounts linked with it should have been deleted by VM 90 days later unless they are transferred to a new broadband account.

In the past VM have not been very good at doing that house keeping. We see many people come on to the forum who have been using an orphaned email account for years and suddenly find that it has been closed by VM without any warning. So what Neal is experiencing is not a unique case, unfortunately.

The situation is that when VM close an email account they first remove access via their Webmail online service. However, the SMTP servers (as used by software such as Outlook) do sometimes remain live for a while. That would explain why Neal can still get his emails via Outlook. Therefore sometimes Mailtester shows that the account is still live when it is inaccessible via Webmail. Closing the account does seem to be a slow process for VM!

Mailtester only looks at the SMTP side so it can show as being live when access is actually being denied.

You can wait for this thread to be picked up by one of the Forum Team (VM employees) to see if they can help but having seen many others in a similar situation I am pessimistic. Such situations rarely end well in my experience.

To be perfectly honest, given that Neal has (hopefully most) of his VM emails already stored in Outlook then he needs to look to opening up a new email account with a non ISP email provider such as Gmail or Outlook.com.

Thanks again for coming on and clarifying things. 

The Forum Team should be contacting you via this forum in the next day or so.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@T-Man wrote:

When I click on the link, it's not reckonised!

As I said in my post to Joseph Joebot  an account that shows as live in Mailtester but is not accessible via Webmail is a sure sign that the email account is being deleted.

I can only say that unfortunately I have never seen a situation where VM have resurrected such an account.

Hopefully you have your old VM emails stored in Outlook. Many people have relied solely on Webmail and have lost all their emails and contacts.

Sorry I cannot be more optimistic.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
T-Man
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby

Many Thanks for your advice. I have now set up a gmail account and I am in the process of linking all important online services to this account. The hacker(s)

can still access my account, so I really need to either be able to change the password or just delete the account; which is what I would like do.

If you could still help me, that would be great!

Neal.

0 Kudos