cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@ntlworld.com account wont authorise on 3rd party mail software

SimonScott1975
Joining in

I've looked at several threads on similar issues to this.

We've not been able to access an ntlworld.com address on Outlook for several years. It's not something we've worried about too much, but now we need to download an archive of them ahead of switching to a different email address from another provider.

We've recently reset the passwords as we had issues a few days ago with accessing it via VM webmail. The password has been reset on Outlook too, to no avail, and to reiterate, it's not worked for years on there.

Additionally, I tried installing firebird to see if the problem was specific to Outlook, but it also fails to authorise there, too.
I ran the curl command and received the following:

REMOVED

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (67) Login denied

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The moderator will edit your post to redact personal information that has been included in it including your password and email address.

It would be advisable to change your password again.  

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SimonScott1975
Joining in

Thank you! That's sorted it. 

I was certain I hadn't copied in the username and password in what I pasted, but will change that nonetheless.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SimonScott1975  Great that you have been able to get access following my advice. 

Your email address and password were not showing to the naked eye but we're included in base64 code which is very easy to decode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks