Menu
claremoben
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

lost emails

Can anyone help regarding emails which have simply disappeared from the inbox of our main virgin email account?  All emails in the in-box prior to 22nd Jan 2020 have disappeared, but the 'sent items' are still present.  I have checked via iPhone, laptop and online and there is no sign of them.  Our other email account appears to be unaffected.

I see that the are previous older posts on the same subject but very few answers.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: lost emails

Are you aware that the Acceptable Use Policy within VM’s Terms and Conditions says this -

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account.”

Have you done so?

You are using an iPhone presumably connected via IMAP for communications between VM webmail and the phone.

Are you aware that where multiple devices are connected via IMAP, that any “Delete” command (intended OR accidental) is replicated across all such synchronised systems?

I would hazard a guess that at some time on 21st January your iPhone has issued a “Delete” command having first selected (probably accidentally) all “Inbox”.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In addition to BillC45's excellent advice, check your email address security, just to be on the safe side:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
claremoben
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.  Alas I suspect this is a case of operator failure and we must have pressed a wrong button without realising, as I can see no evidence of hacking (as if I would know what to look for!).

I do find the Virgin Media website a challenge in locating useful help and information, whilst trying to speak to someone about such issues leaves me needing therapy.  Long live the Community!

claremoben
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I nearly forgot to ask.......

Backing up emails.  How do I do that?

Is this simply a matter of backing up to an external hard-drive using 'Time Machine' on my laptop, or is this something I need to set up via the Virgin Media website?

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Put “best email backup software” into a Google search and read up on the subject. Personally, I use Mailstore Home - which is free to individual users - and is highly rated by most reviews. Here - https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/

anergates
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have this same problem and it has put a big hole in my efficiency, thousands of emails gone.  Why do they go from the server?!  Seems very poor system.  WHERE have they gone?  Virgin said they could help but of course, they could not and have not.  Hopeless, total lack of customer care.  How do I back up emails?  I run time machine on my mac, but nothing there.  I guess it will be a case of Virgin say it is Apple and vice versa.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

well in most cases its the apple device
0 Kudos