cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

locked email account issues again....

TheMightySpud
Tuning in

So yeah, this again.  I appear to have been locked out of my ntlworld.com email account.

Last time this happened it was because it was classed as an Orphaned Email Account, which is fair enough.

I got the issue resolved and got the email account 'attached' to my current VM account as it's primary email address.

All of a sudden yesterday I lost all access, even webmail.

This is my primary account and depserately need it.

TheMightySpud

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

13 REPLIES 13

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm sure the forum staff can raise a ticket to get that sorted, but I assume you're aware that (a) the service has long been outsourced on the cheap, and (b) VM no longer regard email as a core part of the internet package, and that they don't even allow new customers to open email accounts?

Which means that VM email is a "sunset" service, and as customers churn out the numbers will steadily go down until its not viable, and at that point they'll close it off for the remaining users.  According to the company there are no current plans to withdraw email for current users, and the sometimes erratic VM email service for existing users could rumble on for a couple of years or so.  But the direction of travel and the logical conclusion of eventual closure is inescapable.

All of which is to say, start thinking about your alternative options now.  Sort out local email retention and archiving if you want access to older emails to the VM account, consider your options for alternative email providers.  If somebody offers it to you free, then they are always at liberty to withdraw that at any time, so consider that.  Alternatives include paid email providers (typically around £2-3 a month for 1-5 email addresses), or buying a domain name that includes one or more email addresses (from as little as a tenner a year with a single email address, eg with Ionos).  For that tenner I've setup my own dot com domain that's reasonably customised, so if my name were Alan B Snodgrass, my email would be alan@absnodgrass.com (note, random domain I've checked it doesn't exist).  All the obvious domains of surname.com have long since gone, but if you've got a couple of initials to put on the front there's an excellent chance that the domain is available either as a dot com or a dot co dot uk.

I have started migrating all of my 'stuff' over to a new Email address, but some of those can't be moved over.

I remembered that last time this happened it was something to do with the Spam filter crapping out and erroneously marking my account as a Spam risk or something.

Hoping that the staff can sort this out. But not heard anything yet. 😕

Can any of the Staff help please?  I've not been without this email address for 3 days. 😕

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey TheMightySpud, thanks for your posts and sorry for the slow replies.

Sorry to hear of the issue with your email account, I'd be eager to help out with this now.
Just to check if this will resolve the issue, could you please try logging to your email account here from a pc/laptop browser by preference and follow the 'forgot my password' route to change it to a new one?
Sometimes, our security team might lock you out due to suspicious activity detected and this can be easily restored by re-setting the password to a brand new and secure one that's never been used before on the account.

Please. try this and pop us a message back here to let us know if it does the trick for you.
We're happy to assist further if you don't manage to access your emails after it's done.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply.

I can't even get to the 'forgotten password' part.  I click on the login link and just get the 'Mailbox not available' message.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TheMightySpud  Does this link take you directly to the forgotten password page?

https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password?intcmpid=cjf-937-forgot-detai...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It does thank you.

However, it just doesn't work.  I enter my info, click on the continue button and the page just reloads.  😕

I have just read something that made me laugh.

In the edit to the email account locked pinned message VM say that they will be notifying user affected by locked email account via email that their email account has been locked.

HOW!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?! If there is no access to the email account registered to the VM account?

Might be the most idiotic thing I've ever read.

My apologies that this has not worked for you @TheMightySpud

Can you please try clearing your cache and cookies and try using another browser/device to see if the forgotten password page works for you?

If not, please let us know if you see any error messages or codes at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley