Menu
BarryMitchell
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

large increase in Spam emails

I have suddenly started receiving many 'Spam' emails from Security companies, eg Norton, Mcafee, and others, telling me my security package has expired, when I don't even have one with any of these companies, as I am protected by AVG

Can anyone help ?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: large increase in Spam emails

Spam originates from various nefarious entities and some are better than others. Currently a vast majority of the spam I receive comes from the less skilled where it is either a newsletter or contains an invalid send date. View the source of a few of the spam emails and look for the following headers:

• List-Id:
  • Date: with a value of Wed4 Oct 2020

Which ones are present?

FYI: to view the source of an email in webmail select the email then > View source

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ts1wk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Myself and my partner are also getting the same kind of emails daily from so called Security Companies.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BarryMitchell
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thx very insightful person I found the header Wed4Oct2020 - which means what ?

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have a read of the thread 'My Spam Solution'. There is a discussion and an explanation.

For me, the main thing is that the solution works and does not appear to have negative side effects. Once Spammers work out there is a defence against their cannon balls, maybe they will start digging new tunnels underground; but we can enjoy the respite while it lasts!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Either the filter rule suggested by @ahrbee or that following will work to identify those emails with an invalid sent date as spam:
用心棒_0-1613347772467.jpeg

0 Kudos
ts1wk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the advice and I've done as instructed. Hopefully this will work.

0 Kudos