Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: keeping email copy on server

@ronm1

You are missing a crucial piece of understanding - probably not your fault but you have to understand how your Windows 10 mail app interacts with mail on the VM mail server.

Each is a mirror of the other. What you do in one is immediately reflected in the other.  Delete a mail in windows 10 mail app and it is instantly deleted on the VM server. That is because the windows 10 mail app uses a mail protocol (how mail is handled) called IMAP which keeps all places where email is stored in complete sync.

That should help you understand what is going on.

As for back-up you can use the ideas you have already been told about. here is nothing with your e-mail set up (or for that matter in any one else's set up using IMAP) that does back up automatically.

What you can do as a very simple measure is set up an archive folder  in win10 app or in web mail and move e-mail that you want to keep to that folder. Provided you never lose access to VM mail by moving away from VM the mail should be there when you need it. But the best solution is always to use a back-up system of the kind that Mailstore provides. Treat mail held on the VM servers as ephemeral and likely to disappear if the service glitches (which it does).

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

ronm1
Tuning in
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Maybe the fear of losing my mail wasn't an issue before, I'm self employed and have lots of business mail.

I started using live mail around 1998 and I seem to remember having the option of 'Leave a copy on the server until I delete it'

Although I can't be 100% sure that it left a copy on the server after I deleted it from Live mail.

I think the ISP was Easynet.com.

I guess I'm a mail hoarder!  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ronm1 wrote:

Maybe the fear of losing my mail wasn't an issue before, I'm self employed and have lots of business mail.

I started using live mail around 1998 and I seem to remember having the option of 'Leave a copy on the server until I delete it'

Although I can't be 100% sure that it left a copy on the server after I deleted it from Live mail.

I think the ISP was Easynet.com.

I guess I'm a mail hoarder!  

That was/is still certainly an option with email clients using the POP protocol.  However VM don't  currently apply that on pop accounts, they manage to hide them from multiple dowloads.  Using the IMAP settings gives the industry standard results.  Delete from one IMAP connected account leafs le deletion from all such accessed accounts.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ronm1 wrote:

Ooh! That's not good.

A few words to the wise... aside from the notion that if your VM broadband account is ever closed them your VM email access will cease 90 days later, business use of VM's residential broadband service, including email, is specifically prohibited in the VM AUP. It would be a wise move to get your email service provision from somewhere other than VM and more suited to your requirements. BTW, VM's business accounts don't have email service provision.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
Lurking....
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

To be frank - I wouldn't rely on the Windows 10 mail app either.  It's very basic.

Much better to use something like Mozilla Thunderbird instead.

Tim

"Very basic" to describe Windows mail is very much an understatement.  Outlook Express was much better.  Easynet was a co.uk and was my 1st dialup ISP.

Sky bought them and flogged them later. 

corrected the duff link.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
ronm1
Tuning in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How quickly we forget that before  broadband  you couldn't use you landline phone and computer at the same time!