Menu
Highlighted
ronm1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

keeping email copy on server

When I move an email to a file in EDGE it is removed from the inbox on my server.

How to I keep a copy on the server.

With good old live mail it was easy but with EDGE!! it's got a mind of it's own! 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: keeping email copy on server

Edge is a web browser - not an email client.  So you can't simply move a mail to a file.

You can save a copy of an email as a file using the menu, but that shouldn't remove the mail.

Can you describe the EXACT sequence of events you are using?  Also do you by any chance have the mails set to filter by unread?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
ronm1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help.

I actually meant windows (10) mail, not edge

I have created some folders in my mail app on my lap top.

When I open mail on my lap top and move an email from the inbox to a folder named  'Banking' for instance, I have discovered that this email has disappeared from my virgin mail on the server.

My fear is losing or damaging my lap top as I wont have a backup on my virgin server mail!

Thank you

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ronm1 wrote:

My fear is losing or damaging my lap top as I wont have a backup on my virgin server mail!

I wouldn't rely on the virgin server copy as a backup, there are all sorts of reasons why it's a bad idea... hackers... termination of VM BB account... data-loss at VM...

There are some good email backup solutions out there, have a look at this helpful info posted by ravenstar68: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/td-p...

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be frank - I wouldn't rely on the Windows 10 mail app either.  It's very basic.

Much better to use something like Mozilla Thunderbird instead.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ronm1 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I actually meant windows (10) mail, not edge

I have created some folders in my mail app on my lap top.

When I open mail on my lap top and move an email from the inbox to a folder named  'Banking' for instance, I have discovered that this email has disappeared from my virgin mail on the server.

Thank you

Putting the warnings aside for a moment, to address your particular concern I would check your IMAP subscriptions in VM webmail.  When logged into the account in webmail click on the 'hamburger' icon to the left of the VM logo top right of screen and click on settings, then click on email.  In the right hand window scroll down until you see 'Change Imap subscriptions' in red. Cklick on this a then click on the down arrow head next to the account concerned and ensure there is a tick against the folder names that you have set up on your lap top.  Click on save.  Next time you refresh the VM webmail screen you should see the previously missing folders and their contents.

Use Kudos to say thanks

ronm1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you SDC, for the link some very helpful information

ronm1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I must look into these apps

0 Kudos
ronm1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham, your recommendations have worked, although when I delete the email from the folder in win mail on my lap top, it is also deleted from my virgin web mail.

I suppose if it's that important I should print it off!!

I have Norton cloud back up but I think that is just for my  document  folders

Is there system that backs up email to the cloud? and once it's there it has to be deleted manually nonmatter what you do to your mail on your computer?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ronm1 wrote:

Thank you Graham, your recommendations have worked, although when I delete the email from the folder in win mail on my lap top, it is also deleted from my virgin web mail.

That's how IMAP is meant to work.  Live mail would have done the same.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos