Menu
rach74
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

keeping email address

hi all,

im due to move to an area that doesn't have virginmedia so have no choice but to go with another provider, the problem I have is that I have 3 email addresses with virginmedia, my business one, my one and husbands one and have had these for over 10 years.  How will it be possible to keep these email addresses?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: keeping email address

no. you must have an active broudband account to use the email.
You should start updating your contacts with a new one
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It won't be possible.  A Virgin Media broadband account is needed for continuing use of their email service.

Email accounts should close 90 days after ceasing to be a customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

There is a very simple answer to your question. It won't be possible to keep the addresses. They will be deleted 90 days after your VM  contract ends and the contents of your mailboxes on VM's system will be erased as will your contact lists held on VM's servers.

Using an ISP for a business is fraught with danger. You have no guarantee that faults will be fixed quickly and it doesn't inspire much confidence when people see a domestic e-mail service being used for business. You need your own domain name and an e-mail hosting service to ensure that your e-mail is always up and running.

As for home use, the generally accepted view in the e-mail community is that you should never use an e-mail address linked to your ISP for the very reason I have outlined. Change ISP and you lose the address.

The better option is to use a service not linked to your ISP and this problem simply never arises. Plenty out there. It's what I do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
rach74
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

will it be possible just to pay virginmedia a small amount so emails can still come through as will be hell notifying all my customers and flyers etc, as its not my fault they not in the area im moving to else I would stay with them

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Its not possible to pay to keep jut the email address.

May not be your fault. But using the service for business use is against the T&C so you shouldn't use it as a business contact

0 Kudos
rach74
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

so I cant pay just to keep my account active even though wont use as cant  but then I would be able to keep my email addresses?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM have never had national coverage in the UK. You can't blame them or use the excuse that they are not in your new area for their policy of only providing e-mail to their customers. The only widely available portable e-mail addresses in this country are those that belong to the non-ISP linked e-mail services like GMAil and Outlook.com (for example - there are others). 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

nope you can't. You'll need to move to another email.
might as well take this chance to get your own domain name so you always have control of the email
0 Kudos
rach74
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

oh  I never knew you couldn't use email address as a contact

0 Kudos