Menu
em4036
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

keeping an email address

If I leave virgin media can I keep my ntlworld.com email address?

0 Kudos
GoodSamaritan
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: keeping an email address

Hi em4036

Sadly when you leave you will lose your email. It should stay active for 90 days allowing you enough time to make other arrangements.

Kind regards

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
em4036
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I thought as much but was told by talk talk I could keep it.  I access my emails through Microsoft outlook any ideas of how to transfer to a gmail account.  Also can't send emails at the moment as my network password is not recognised even though I haven't changed anything!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just wanted to add a few things that might help you!

When you do leave VM services and the 90 days are up - check the email address and mailbox is completely deleted from the VM system.  Run the address through mailtester.com and if still showing as valid, come back to the forum and have the staff manually delete it.  If you don't, it is vulnerable to hacking and then your personal and financial details can be stolen, your friends and family spammed.  This happens to scores of people every week YEARS after they leave VM, so don't let it be you.

Getting your access back before you leave - have you tried changing your password?  Can you still access your virgin billing account?  If changing the password and updating in outlook does not help, then you need to find out the error code and report back here.  The Superusers have a list of the codes and can advise on restorative action or refer to the Forum Team for anything that needs to be done by VM.  Here is how to get the error code.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

Choose an email address not linked to ANY ISP, then you only have to do this once.

• In webmail, turn off all spam filtering
  • Also disable any other filters, this way EVERYTHING should go to your new address
  • Set up auto forwarding to your new address, do not use the holiday/out of office feature you want to control who finds out your new address.
  • Start changing your log in details with important instititutions - banks, hmrc, etc
  • This is a good time to update all your passwords with strong ones (I use keepass on a memory stick to create and store good passwords for work and home - i am a bookkeeper and need hundreds of logins!)
  • Then let family and friends know
  • Also amend log in details with boring places or unsubscribe from those that waste your time
  • As the autoforwards come to your new service, the spam will be caught by their spam filter
  • Anything from people or places you want to keep, you inform them of your new address, anything you don't you can ignore.

An alternative to forwarding would be to continue accessing the Virgin Media addresses via:

• an email client, for example Thunderbird.
  • webmail if third party access is supported by the new email service provider.

This approach will give better insight to an email account's mailbox.

Come back for more advice - we want to help!

(p.s. - not sure what talk talk has to do with giving advice on virgin services)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
em4036
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I followed the instructions and I believe the following is needed?

2019.10.04 14:03:34 SMTP (smtp.ntlworld.com): <rx> 235 2.7.0 ... authentication succeeded

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That means that at the very least - you can send mails.

What's happening when you try to access your emails?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
em4036
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes but it still keeps coming up with the same message asking for the network password so won't always send emails on the same day!!! Just need to transfer everything to new email and then no problems 😁

0 Kudos