Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: ipad will not send emails

@Hoskinsd 

Here's how the Forum works:

You tell us you've got a problem:

We community members will come together to try and help you.  To do that we need to ask the right questions and get the answers to those questions.

I too run a .co.uk domain of my own, when I send outbound email I don't do it through Virgin Media's SMTP servers.  So were I to be asked what SMTP server do I use - I would say box.timothydutton.co.uk

I already know that you are talking to the server due to the fact that the iPad says "Recipient address rejected."  However we still don't know if this is fasthosts SMTP server or Virgin Media's.

Quite frankly the fact that it's worked ok for the last 18 months means nothing to me.  What matters to me is what is happening now.  The iPad is notoriously bad at users being able to find the actual error message that is returned from the server, as the error message lacks a lot of details.

This is why I asked if you could duplicate the problem with Thunderbird or Outlook?

BTW - SMTP doesn't know what type of device is connecting.  All it sees is a connection on the SMTP port and handles the traffic as normal.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Dear All

Thanks for the info. I cannot duplicate the error on anything other than the ipad.

It must be related only to my link to Virgin. If I log into my next door neighbours virgin Wi Fi it sends without any error.

I'll check with virgin to see if my IP address is on a black list somewhere.

Thanks again for you help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Why check with Virgin Media when you can find out yourself?

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Just ignore the Spamhaus PBL or SORBS DUHL listings

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tim 

thanks for the link

with a windows PC I get no blacklisted items or timeouts

with the ipad (connected to the Virgin Wi Fi) I get 4 timeouts

NIXSPAM, RATS Dyna, RATS NoPtr and RATS Spam.

with the ipad (connected to a phone hot spot) I get no blacklisted items or timeouts

So is this an Apple, Fasthost  or a Virgin problem? I have no idea.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos