Menu
ColinRobinson
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

ip addresses blacklisted

been a virgin customer for years no issues, but 2 days ago my outgoing mail stopped working, after contact my isp they reported my ip was blacklisted and they whitelisted my IP address, today issue re-occurred and they said my ip had changed and was also blacklisted.  I checked my IP address and it had not changed. they suggested a virgin ip range must have been blacklisted and to contact virgin.  contacting virgin support by mail is near impossible nowadays can anybody on here explain what's going on I cant have my ip changing on me every day ?

Regards

Colin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ip addresses blacklisted

OK this is just confusing, you say you are a VM customer (VM broadband, I assume) but you have contacted your ISP and they have told you that your IP address is blacklisted? VM is your ISP, so who exactly have you been in contact with?

VM domestic IP addresses are technically dynamic but tend to be very ‘sticky’, they certainly don’t change every day.

So the email issue, is this using VM’s email system or someone else’s, it’s not too clear.

0 Kudos
ColinRobinson
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

yep virgin is my isp I Use it for connectivity only,  Everything else I use hosting company Catalyst2.com.  So for email I use Mac mail and configure an imap email account including the config of smtp outgoing mail account via an smtp server they provide.

My email stopped sending a few days ago, they diagnosed the prob as their smtp server finding my public IP as blacklisted, they whitelisted on their server and it worked for a day before failing again.  They checked and said my mail was using a different ip that was also blacklisted.  When I checked on google with what's my ip it hadn't changed.  they explained that perhaps virgin had a range excluded but I dont get this bit.  my public ip didnt and hasn't changed. but still appears to be blocked.

Hope this is clearer. any idea what the resolution is I dont seem to be able to contact virgin to get a changed public facing ip for my superb.  my devices are all virus scanned and im not doing any activity that would justify global blacklisting ?

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes much clearer. For a start getting VM to change your IP address is a complete non starter, don’t bother calling them, all that will happen is you’ll get through to offshore customer support who, even if they understand what you are asking for, won’t be able to do it; at best you’ll be told that the request will be escalated and to reboot your hub in an hour or maybe a day and the address will be changed - hint; it won’t!

The only reliable way is to switch the VM hub into modem mode and then get and configure your own router - that’ll do it.

But this is all missing the point, VM don’t maintain any ‘blacklists’ these are inevitably managed by third parties, so you first need to find out which one you are on (if any). A good checking tool (for lots of things to do with email issues not just blacklist check) is here.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx 

Put your public IP address in the search box at the top, select Blacklist check from the drop down list and see what it comes up with.

You need to be aware that as you are on a domestic internet connection you will and should be on some lists, especially those listing dynamic IP address ranges. Ultimately armed with this information, you need to get back to your email hosting provider and ask them the question - which list is triggering the block. I have to say though that their obviously wrong conclusion that you were on a different address when you weren’t doesn’t inspire a great deal of confidence in them!