Menu
AlanC123
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

how to delete email account?

Hi- we have two ntl email accounts, one is mine and one my wife's. They are very old and, maybe "orphan" accounts. I'd like to delete mine because it seems to have been hacked but leave my wife's because she uses it regularly. 

Because the two are associated I'm worried about deleting both by mistake. Please could someone pm me and I'll give the details.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: how to delete email account?

Impossible to advise because crucial pieces of information are missing. No one from the VM Team will send you a PM. That is not how this Forum works. It works by bringing users together to sort out issues and only involve VM if we can't.

Are these ntlworld addresses associated with a current paid for VM broadband account?  If not are either of you currently VM broadband customers?

So a bit more information would help.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
AlanC123
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks- I thought I'd seen that some people had responses from VM folk but maybe not. Yes we are current VM broadband users and have an account but these addresses date back, I think, to dial ups days. 

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As you are still a VM Broadband customer, you 'should' be able to delete this account yourself, by logging in at My Virgin Media and going to My profile, manage accounts.  If you are taken straight to the emails, click the swirly red icon in the top right corner.  You cannot delete the primary email, but you should be able to regain control of it.  Let us know if you have any problems with that.

new account.png

If the account in question is not there, just post a note back here explaining more and one of the Forum Team (VM employees) can get it done for you.  They will take a few days to get to this thread, so please be patient.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@AlanC123 wrote:

Hi- we have two ntl email accounts, one is mine and one my wife's. They are very old and, maybe "orphan" accounts. I'd like to delete mine because it seems to have been hacked but leave my wife's because she uses it regularly. 

Because the two are associated I'm worried about deleting both by mistake. Please could someone pm me and I'll give the details.

Many thanks

You should folow the advice here to safeguard your personal details:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Please remove the helpful answer tick. This is only relevant when the problem is solved and it isn't - you'll see why when you read on.

While we always applaud people who read past posts to get a feel for their issues and often solve them that way you've gone a bit off track - understandably. Not your fault because this area of VM operations is complicated. You'll see why when you read on.

Both these addresses look like orphans. You want one removed so we need to get VM to do this and the Forum Team will do so when they reach this thread in the next few days (having the green tick in place may lead them to believe that the problem is solved and you won't get this noticed).

You want one retained and this is where you'll have to make a decision. If you just leave your wife's address as it is VM will delete it when they find it and they are currently doing a sweep for these orphan accounts and deleting them. So that is a very risky option.

If you want to save it it must be attached to your current broadband account. This can often be done BUT the effect will be to wipe out entirely any e-mail addresses currently attached the broadband account involved and all the e-mails attached to them on the VM servers. Do you want that? You need to decide before the VM Team respond. 

You don't need to do anything further now. Just wait for the Forum Team to respond. I'll keep an eye on this thread to make sure it is picked up.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have just the read the advice from MissPasko.  She is right, provided both of these addresses are showing in My Virginmedia and the one you want to delete is NOT your primary account. That can never be deleted. 

Told you it was complicated? Can you see these addresses in My VM? In which case they are not orphaned.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AlanC123
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. I don 't want to risk my wife's being deleted so I'll probably end up leaving mine. I've changed the password on mine and deleted everything I can associated to it so hopefully that will do for now. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So they were visible in My VM, they weren't orphaned (ie existed on a previous account but not the current one) and so you were able to solve the problem yourself.

I think we'll leave it there.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AlanC123
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi- yes it is crazy. I can't see either address there so guess both are orphaned. The hassle isn't for me it's for other people who get emails from "me"! 

0 Kudos