hi my ntlworld account has been hacked what can I do,thanks

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tosha43 wrote:

my ntlworld account has been hacked what can I do,

1) Reset/change the password. Try doing it like this:

Sign into the "My Virgin Media" account for that email address from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using that ntlworld email address and existing password. 

Once you have signed in click on the "Account settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.  Change the password to one you have never used before and then sign out. Then leave it at least 30 minutes before trying to access the email account.

2) Change the "Password recovery" question for the account by following the same steps as for the password reset. The option to edit (change) the Password recovery question is just below the option to reset the password.

3) Check in your VM webmail account on the VM website that the hacker has not set up an autoforward or any filter rules to hide the evidence of their illegal activities with any of your (or someone-else's) other online accounts. If they have, they delete them but check your other online accounts for suspicious activity.

4)Run a full antivirus and malware scan on your devices to ensure that they are not infected with malware which might have given the hacker an easy route to access your email account

5) Consider whether you should switch to using a more secure email service, You really need one that offers additional security features such as 2 Factor authentication/ 2 step authentication. (Gmail and Outlook.com among many others offer this).

And finally:

6) If you decide to stick with VM email you could pray to whichever Supreme being that you believe in and respectfully request them to protect  your VM email account in the future..

Step 6 is a bit off the wall I admit.

However, the fact is that VM email does not have the same security features that most modern email services provide. Also,  VM stopped issuing new email addresses to new and existing customers almost a year ago. To me that suggests that providing an email service is not part of their long term business plans so future investment from VM is unlikely.

I hope that the above suggestions, well, 1 to 5 anyway, are useful.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey Tosha43,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email address, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L