Menu
Sally100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hacked email account

Hi, I am posting this on behalf of my very elderly mother

She was a Virginmedia customer until about 4 years ago when she moved to a new address.   She changed supplier when she moved and was advised her virginmedia email account would close after 6 months.  

Her friends and family have suddenly started to get emails from her old virginmedia account in reply to emails they sent to her several years ago - some 2015 - containing a very dodgy looking link.   

She is unable to log into the email account to close it as her username and password are no longer valid.   

What do I need to do to stop this from happening?

Will this effect the security of friends and family who have received these bogus emails?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: hacked email account

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to help with deletion of the email address; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sally100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!   I wondered how you knew it had been flagged to the forum team? 🙂

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I flagged it to the forum team for the reason previously stated.

FYI: if it is a:

• “hacked email address” then they can arrange for its deletion
  • “spoofed email address” (forged) then to advise your mother make those she corresponds with aware that emails claiming to be from her old email address are malicious and should be deleted
Sally100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much.  I’ll wait to hear from them

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sally100,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear your Mothers old unused email account has been hacked, As the account was in her names  it would be your Mother we would need to speak to, she can either call or set up a community account.

Once security is crested we can arranged for a I T ticket to be raised and the account will be closed within 10 days.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Sally100
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

thanks for getting back to me. I think my Mum will really struggle to get in touch with you herself.  She is nearly 90 and very hard of hearing. I know she won’t be able to call you because of her hearing problems.  I think she will also struggle with the Community approach.  Are there any other options?  Can I do it for her?

Thanks again 

Sally

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is your Mother in the same property as you? If so we can go through security while you are with her. 

^Martin

0 Kudos