Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

failing authentication checks

Can anyone help me to avoid this regular message failure.
This is the message I get:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 37 minute(s): * [MOD EDIT: Removed] Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-9-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "NB Project", has not yet been delivered to [MOD EDIT: Removed]. The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery: 421:421-4.7.0 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass 421-4.7.0 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the 421-4.7.0 message has been blocked. Please visit 421-4.7.0 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more 421 4.7.0 information. u9si7495139pgf.8 - gsmtp
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: failing authentication checks

Have you read the gmail information page the rejection message links to?  Are you sending using a virgin media email domain, or a domain of your own?  This is where I would start if I were you.  Give us a little more information and we can try to help.  Best wishes.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am using a POP3 account and the outgoing mail server from virgin media smtp.virginmedia.com  The rejection only seems to happen when I copy a message by sending it to my own gmail account as I am often out of the UK but prefer to use a POP3 account when home.

Mostly the gmail info is relatively meaningless to me, sorry but I am getting old!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We have many experienced users here in the community, I am just beginning to learn!  Don't worry, someone will know better questions to ask and guide you so that the email can get through in future.  The rejection message tells us something to start with.  Here are some other questions I can think of.

Was the gmail email address you posted earlier one that you control? i.e. you are forwarding a message from your VM email address to your gmail address?

You are doing this from your home address broadband connection?

Using VM webmail, or which email client?

Can you post the header / source information of the sent message - please redact the first part of any email address - like this: xxxxxx@ntlworld.com)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the gmail address is one that I control. I am using the virgin media smtp setting but the email server is on a onetel.com account ( ****@onetel.com )

This done from a Virgin Business Fibre connection at my home office.

a typical message that would fail would be headed:

to: Jim*****@yahoo.co.uk

Cc ****me@gmail.com

Does this help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You should be using the onetel settings for your outgoing mail. The general rule is that the server settings should be the servers that relate to the e-mail domain in your message. If you don't you'll get the kind of error message you are seeing.

I picked these settings up from Google. Onetel now part of TalkTalk) own server settings do not require authentication, a practice which is insecure and unsafe.

ONETEL POP3 Settings:
User Name: your_Email@onetel.com.
Password: your email login password.
Incoming Mail Server: pop.onetel.com.
Incoming Port: 110.
Incoming SSL: No.
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.onetel.com.
Outgoing Port: 25.
Outgoing SSL: No.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would say that gmail are blocking the onetel.com address as the header information** (email in code form) does not pass their spam checks.  All email providers are constantly updating their protection methods to reduce spam to their recipients.

You should check with onetel.com - (maybe that is an email provider, or your employer, or your own business) - that is who needs to update the records in the first link I gave you.  Then the gmail servers will trust the onetel sender address coming from VM servers.

** You can use a search engine to learn how to view the header information in your preferred email client.  The details you gave were useful, but not the header.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK  I will try to  change the POP3 settings to see if that works. Thanks to all for the help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The smtp.virginmedia.com server is designed for VM residential broadband customers to use.  Use with any other ISP including Virgin Media business broadband is likely to either not work at all or lead to the problems identified in this thread.  I believe HowardML is correct with his assessment of the situation and steps for resolution.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@halothane wrote:

OK  I will try to  change the POP3 settings to see if that works. Thanks to all for the help.

Well if you do that you go nowhere near remedying the issue. POP is for INCOMING not OUTGOING mail. SMTP - simple mail transfer protocol is the protocol which deal with outbound mail from your device. 

0 Kudos