cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error messages on e-mail

SirDJ
Joining in

Recommended to try here from Virgin agent on Twitter as numerous phone calls have not solved the problem.  I have 3 Virgin e-mail addresses and up to 4 or so weeks ago I could log into main account and access the other 2, move mail from them to folders under the main acc. Then the trouble started. On mail page I receive the message "error The provided login data to access e-mail server imap.virginmedia.com seems to be wrong. Please correct them." This message keeps coming up every few minutes while on mail. The other 2 accounts have a ! beside them. When I click on it takes me to Acount setting with the message under each account "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them."  I have changed my password on each account (same password on each) still have the problem. When I type the new password in each account there the message I get "the validation of server IMAP.virginmedia.com failed due to invalid credentials - ignore warning or cancel when press ignore receive an "acc. updated" but it still gives me the error.  I have written a Complaint on the website I have spoken to 5 or 6 people - one of which told me there wasn't a problem and I would have to live with it! I think this is a softwear problem or IMAP details have been changed. I have asked to speak to a Tech expert the 2nd last Agent I spoke to promied to pass this but on the last caller asked what the problem was!! I have described this to numerous Virgin Call Centre staff and on the Complaints. I am sik of it. I know I am not the only one having this problem as my sister (who lives in another town) and a friend in London are having the same problem. VIRGIN PLEASE FIX THIS OR EXPLAIN TO ME HOW I CAN

28 REPLIES 28

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SirDJ,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you have an ongoing issue with accessing your mailboxes!

Are you able to access your online account at all, or are you having issues accessing the account as well?

Are you signing into your mailboxes through the online account, or through a third party website/ app?

Let us know so that we can investigate this further for you.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I can sign in to each account individully thru the Virgin website. I use Chrome and have tried it on Edge. I have the same trouble using my laptop, desktop and the App on my mobile.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SirDJ  It appears from your posts that your issue is occurring when using an email client to access the email accounts concerned.  If you have added the additional accounts to your main VM webmail view then VM webmail is acting as a third party email client.

Following a security change made by VM there are now two different passwords required, one for webmail access and a different, computer generated, app password for use with email clients.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @SirDJ thanks for your reply.

Okay, so please either follow @Graham_A's steps as advised, or there is more details provided in this link here too.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Tom_W

when you talk of an App does that include website?

I followed the steps until I came to "verify it's you" when it asks - First, we need you to change your sign in email address to one that isn't from Virgin Media. Then, when we send you a verification code in the next step, you'll able to access it from your alternative email address.  I have 2 @virginmedia.com e-mails and the main acc. e-mail is blueyonder.  BUT my sister who has the same problem only as 2 @virginmedia.com mail addresses so how do we proceed.  Whoever thought this change was good customer service needs to realize we are not all tech experts and why was the above information not given to Virgin e-mail customers when the changed happened?

Hi @SirDJ thanks for your reply.

If you can please create an alternative email address for this purpose, this should be able to get you in and follow the steps - we do hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I just cannot believe all this. I have  gmail account which is not linked to my virgin e-mails. Am I suppossed to use this?  I also have re-read @Graham-A's reply and I don't understand the comment - issue is occurring when using an email client to access the email accounts concerned.  I access my e-mails thru https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/existing-customer What is an email client.

Hi SirDJ thanks for getting back to us.

An email client is a 3rd party app. Examples of this are thunderbird, outlook, etc.  They would be easy to find via any search engine. And yes, would you be able to use your 3rd party email address as recommended by my colleague?  

Regards