Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

error message, cannot send mail.

Can someone clever help please.

I'm using the same IPA for sending emails on my devices.

Not having any problem sending mail on my laptop, but a couple of days ago I started getting this error message when sending mail on my iPad.

email.jpg

I have checked, and I'm using the correct user name & password.

Don't understand what this @smtp is all about ??

HELP !!!!

TERRY. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: error message, cannot send mail.

email.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don't think screenshot is showing on here.

It says 

Cannot Send Mail

The username for "SMTP: [REMOVED]@smtp.blueyonder.co.uk"

is incorrect.

????

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Images don't show until they have been approved. That takes up to 45 mins after approval by the Mods. If that is your e-mail address you shouldn't have published it on a public forum. Where do you think spammers get their addresses from - if you are so careless as to your privacy. I have asked the Mods to edit it out, but the damage is done. You still have time to do it.

Edit - I have now seen and REJECTED your image as it contains your full e-mail address. The VIPs can do this as well as the Mods.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Let us try and sort something out for you. Not everyone is as techy but we do need alittle more information than you have provided to help. Think of the situation. All we know is what you tell us. We can't see you or your devices. We don't know what you have done or are doing. So lets start from the beginning.

What do you mean by "IPA"?  What laptop are you are you using.  What make, what e-mail program or are you logging in to Virgin Media's e-mail web site and doing your e-mail from there.What changes have you made to your Ipad. Did you download an update?

Remind me again, is your laptop working as it should? Sending and getting mail OK?

Now you do need to learn some of the technical terms. SMTP - simple mail transfer protocol are the rules that allow mail to be sent from your computer via VM to the recipients mail box via their internet service provider. Incoming mail uses one of two sets of rules POP (old set of rules - post office protocol, in the days when e-mail was likened to snail mail. IMAP - Internet Message access Protocol - more modern, keeps your mail in step across all your devices).

We need answers to all these questions, but shouldn't be that hard!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML 

Can I suggest you read the OP again? :;

Unless I miss my guess IPA means IP address - Although I do know it can stand for  Indian Pale Ale at the local pub 😉

However the OP did post this:

Not having any problem sending mail on my laptop, but a couple of days ago I started getting this error message when sending mail on my iPad.

@telkeato - Have a read of my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...