Menu
linny40
Up to speed
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

emails bouncing back to sender

Hi, i have had similar problems previously.

NEED URGENT HELP

Seems my ntlworld address is not receiving some emails and sending back to the sender stating that they are sending me spam.

How can i stop this so i can receive emails. I have looked in my setting on the VM webpage but can see nothing i can change other than to send all spam to my inbox, which i have done for now

The emails are from a company i am ordering from so should NOT be sending their replies back to them as spam.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: emails bouncing back to sender

@linny40 wrote:

Seems my ntlworld address is not receiving some emails and sending back to the sender stating that they are sending me spam.

Can you a post a redacted version of the message received by the sender?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
linny40
Up to speed
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

No as I’m not getting any replies from them.

when I rang the company they told me that each time they send me mail it bounces back to them so they can’t send me anything as virgin class it as spam 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can get something or we will never solve this for you and with you. You need to be persistent with the sender.

The sender's email log will have a record when mail is returned as undelivered. We need to see that mail log information because it will contain the reasons for the apparent rejection of the mail by VM. Without it nobody can do anything to assist.  Your only choice will then be to open an alternative email account with Gmail or Outlook.com (to name but two) which have more tuned spam rejection policies than the rather capricious ones VM operate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
linny40
Up to speed
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So your saying I need to open a non virgin email account to ask the company ( which took 2 hrs on the phone for them to actually find out why I wasn’t getting replies) so that they can forward me the bounce back message they are getting. 

I shouldn’t Have to open or use another email account - Ive got enough with virgin

all I need to know is why virgin are rejecting my Mail as spam but I’m getting 3 ton of other spam - I mean I really don’t want a body part enlargement or any more bitcoins or virus prectctions that have expired.

their used to be spam setting filters, but now I can’t find them 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm not saying anything of the kind. I'm trying to be helpful and succinct. Stop twisting my words. 

Let me spell it out before you annoyance blinds you to the situation.

You might want to open a non-VM mail account with another free non-ISP linked provider to ensure that you do get mail from this supplier.  VM's spam filter is known to be capricious and as a result you get the double whammy of not getting mail you want and receiving tons that you don't.

Then contact the supplier and ask separately for the information. It would be best if they sent it to your new non-VM address so you can be sure of getting it, so we can see it. It takes minutes to open an account with, say GMail.

And before you go off again - I have been advising here for years and years. I am a long term VM customer but I don't use their email system except for communications with VM. I use a much better free and more reliable alternative.

And let me spell this out tool - without the information from the supplier's email logs we cannot make any progress  in getting this sorted for you. We need to know what VM's servers seem to be up to with your supplier when it sends you mail. Your supplier knows what is going on, and so should be able to tell you. 

linny40
Up to speed
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So I’m twisting your words & your not saying open a new email address.

Ive had this problem before & virgin sorted it 

As stated it’s 1 particular email address that is bouncing messages & I have no idea who they are bouncing back from other than this 1 company 

ps I’m a very long term loyal VM customer - hardly makes me an expert 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

What are your current spam settings in webmail?

Have you checked to make sure that it's set to deliver spam to your spam folder?

Tim

Edit:  Before you point out it's not spam, that doesn't matter - what matters is that Virgin Media's system thinks it is.

BTW seeing an actual bounce error is important as it contains a lot of useful information that would help Virgin Media get to the bottom of the problem.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@linny40 wrote:

their used to be spam setting filters, but now I can’t find them 

Webmail's mobile device UI does not show the following options under its ⚙ > Settings > Email:

• Filter Rules
  • Spam Settings

desktop UI does under ☰ > Settings > Email

NB: trigger for showing mobile UI or desktop UI is screen resolution, i.e. a mobile device with can display the desktop UI if it has a sufficient resolution or if view of web page is zoomed out.

linny40
Up to speed
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Tim, I’ve set so for now all spam goes to inbox

Notvmuch I can do if the person I spoke to can’t forward the message on to me. They can see the emails, but can’t action them

0 Kudos