Menu
Music46Cat
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

emails blocked and marked suspicious domain

I am having my emails that I send blocked as suspicious domain and that I am using a company domain. I have not got a clue what this is about.  I do not understand how to rectify this and cannot get response on phone. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: emails blocked and marked suspicious domain

Could you please post the actual error message you are getting.  It also helps to know the domain involved.  Don't post up full email addresses though.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Music46Cat
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

reply:

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-2-imp.

Your message have been determined to be suspicious due to non-compliance with the SPF or DMARC policy for the domain me.com, which this message appears to have originated from.

I hope this helps.   I have have had to open an outlook account to enable me to send emails to anyone with a hotmail/outlook account. Immediately got some Malware on my computer so I am unhappy with outlook.

Hope the above helps and thank you.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why are you trying to send mail with a me.com address through Virgin Media's servers?

me.com is an Apple domain.  Here's a link to the correct settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202304

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Music46Cat
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I have always sent emails through virgin and never had any trouble before this week and I have been with virgin for at least 18 years and I have always worked from Macs.  So the whole thing is a total mystery.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As a rule you should always use the recommended settings for each specific email provider.

Even if Virgin Media had sent the email - the SPF and DMARC record for me.com would result in the mail ending up in your recipients spam folder.

Why is this?  Lets look at some headers from a icloud.com email sent via Apples mail servers to My blueyonder email.

Authentication-Results: ukmail.iss.as9143.net;
 spf=pass (17.58.6.39;icloud.com);
 dkim=pass header.d=icloud.com;
 dmarc=pass header.from=icloud.com (p=quarantine sp=quarantine dis=pass);

Note: there are three checks done here.

SPF - Did the mail originate from an IP address permitted to send emails for the domain icloud.com - In this case yes.
DKIM - was the mail signed with a valid signature. Yes and did the body hash of the email verify to show the mail has not been altered.  Again Yes
DMARC - uses the results of the SPF and DKIM checks PROVIDED the domains used in each match the domain in the From: address, and one or other of the two checks pass then we get a DMARC pass.

But what would happen if you sent mail for me.com via Virgin Media's servers.  I'm going to make up some results based on my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and I'll pick one of VM's servers.

Authentication-Results: ukmail.iss.as9143.net;
 spf=softfail (80.0.253.70;icloud.com);
 dkim=neutral no signature (because Virgin will only sign their own domains - quite rightly so too)
 dmarc=fail header.from=icloud.com (p=quarantine sp=quarantine dis=fail);

Actually the SPF soft fail might produce a neutral DMARC result but otherwise the mail would end up in the spam folder because of the DMARC record.

So in that case the SPF fails because the IP address 80.0.253.70 is not approved to send mail for icoud.com
There's no DKIM signature so there's no proof that the mail is genuine or that it hasn't been altered in transit.
DMARC fails because the SPF check fails.

More and more domains are adding DMARC and SPF records as time goes by - so my strongest advice to everyone is MAKE SURE ALL YOUR EMAIL SETTINGS ARE UP TO DATE.

Don't assume that just because they work now they will carry one working forever.  There's a good chance that if you are not using the recommended settings for each email domain, that they may stop working in the near future.

I should stress that the above advice applies to everyone, not just Virgin Media customers.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Music46Cat
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for help.  I thought I had already checked all this but will get my grandson who is an IT expert to have a look at it for me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Music46cat,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community.

I am sorry to hear you have encountered a problem while sending an email.

Has this now been resolved, Do you require any further assistance.?

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Music46Cat
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The matter is not resolved and any email I send from iCloud to Outlook is returned as suspicious.

I have copied the information re finding the faults and will get someone to check this.  I thought I had done this but obviously not.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Music46Cat,

Let us know once your grandson has looked into this for you.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos