cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email

stony68
Joining in

ive been able to login to my virginmedia email up until today but now wont recognise my password as i dont have an account for the past 5/6 years the account has worked well but now i cant change my password as dont have a way of logging in to my old account

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's very likely that the email account has been closed, in accordance with its original conditions. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @stony68 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

We are so sorry to hear that you have faced these issues regarding your email. If the email account is no longer attached to a active and current broadband account then the address will have been deleted. 

We would not be able to reinstate this for you but we can contact our IT teams to ask that the account be fully deleted. 

Please do let us know if you would like us to action this for you. 

adeep
Joining in

There's a 'hidden' password security feature that means that you will have a different password for emails accessed via apps on your devices than that of your account. VirginMedia should be far far clearer on this, as it's counterintuitive. I had to fork out for their 'Gadget Repair' facility (before I found this chat), which I'm not happy with at all, and even then I only noticed it accidentally (but who studies all these web-pages?)

To fix it you need to log in to your account, click on "account settings", then "VirginMedia mail settings', then click on the big red "generate new app password". this generates a separate 20 character secure password for you to copy/paste into your preferred mail app. You may need to do this a few times to get it to work. There's some explanatory text on this page:

Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password

App passwords let you sign into your Virgin Media Mailbox from 3rd party apps on devices such as "Outlook" and "Mail" that don't support Multi Factor Authentication.
When setting up these applications the password generated on this page should be used.
Your password for Virgin Media services and webmail will remain unchanged

I can only assume this is a newish feature as I have the same email password as my account but I set that up years ago. This password will not sync into your password keychain or similar 'password storage' software, if you're using that, so maybe worth writing it down somewhere in case you forget it or need to set up your mail on a new device. you can always 'reset' password to generate a new one if you lose that.

Good Luck!

Until one sets up a "App" password the password is set the same as the original login password - If you change the Login password the App password remains the same as the old password (Idiotic design).  the OP seems to say they have a old cancelled account so it's likely it's been removed.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @stony68 

The advice offered by your fantastic fellow community members was correct.  The only thing we'd be able to do regarding the email address, would be to have it deleted.  This would even be the case, were you to re-join us as a customer.

Regards

Lee_R