cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email unable to send

Colinntl
Tuning in

All my ntl accounts were working OK yesterday morning (13/01). In the afternoon the accounts were unable to send messages (can receive OK) This is still an issue  tried different accounts and different devise.

When trying to send I get the message box asking me to enter username and password for this server - smtp.virginmedia.com.  Clicking OK does nothing.

Anyone know of any issues affecting passwords on the server

Cheers

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Really disappointing response from Virgin Media and maybe that is something the forum team (@ModTeam )  can take forward.

The VM305 error indicates your network's public IP Address appears on Spamhaus's lists, to confirm this perform the following steps from the device that cannot send:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the Search single IP, domain or hash field and select Lookup
  4. follow the advice offered

NB be aware that if the network is not your home Virgin Media broadband then the public IP Address for that network maybe shared between its users, for example when using a mobile network. In these cases you are unlikely to be responsible for the Spamhaus listing and therefore there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue — the workaround is to (a) use webmail to send emails; (b) connect via another network

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I have run this command, however not sure what I am looking for

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI: successful curl output look similar to the following:

> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info

and unsuccessful (for highlight purposes VM error code appears in bold text):

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

I get this message - I am being bounced between first line and tech support. it works on web but not outlook
< 250-HELP
< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
< 250-SIZE 52000000
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250-PIPELINING
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250 OK
> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
[removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Got through on 150 (a waste of time) - 1st line support had to pass me to techie, we proved that account works on the web version. As it appears to be an Outlook issue I was passed back to 1st line, who then said that as it was Outlook they could not fix. Tried to explain that it was the virgin server that had stopped accepting my credentials. I have had my issue passed to IT, apparently this could take days. Problems began 12/01, any assistance appreciated. See message extract

< 250-HELP
< 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
< 250-SIZE 52000000
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250-PIPELINING
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250 OK
> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
[removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Just run again - looks like I am being denied

< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (67) Login denied

Yet again phoned VM, said not interested as the issue is with Oulook. Tried to explain the code as I understand it and can only by un blocked by VM. I asked to raise a complaint again not interested. Can someone from VM please look into this please

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Really disappointing response from Virgin Media and maybe that is something the forum team (@ModTeam )  can take forward.

The VM305 error indicates your network's public IP Address appears on Spamhaus's lists, to confirm this perform the following steps from the device that cannot send:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the Search single IP, domain or hash field and select Lookup
  4. follow the advice offered

NB be aware that if the network is not your home Virgin Media broadband then the public IP Address for that network maybe shared between its users, for example when using a mobile network. In these cases you are unlikely to be responsible for the Spamhaus listing and therefore there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue — the workaround is to (a) use webmail to send emails; (b) connect via another network

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Colinntl, it is regrettable the earlier advice not to post the resulting curl output here was ignored because not doing so has revealed your email address and its password — as a matter of urgency change the password by:

• signing into Login to My Virgin Media | Virgin Media
  • select Account settings > Account details > Edit (located adjacent to Password)
  • follow the instructions and Save changes
  • update the password in other email clients that access the account

Thanks Already checked before I spoke to VM yet again. It is my home network