Menu
wojathome
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

email (smtp.virginmedia.com to be exact)

As per my FB post of 3 days ago - https://www.facebook.com/virginmedia/posts/3598433720169960 it appears I have the problem back again.

Given that it's 3am as I type this, could it be that there's some overnight processing going on? Based on past experiences (and having read some of the historical posts on the same matter) it seems the SMTP application ceases to work, presumably until it gets rebooted by something/one else at some later time...

SMTP was working at 01:30, but not now 😞

Please look into this ASAP!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: email (smtp.virginmedia.com to be exact)

Are you able to take a look at my post here?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

I've checked the server and it is currently up and running.  I have an idea as to what this issue could be, but seeing the error code returned by VM to Outlook would be helpful.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
wojathome
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

<rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Basically that means you have a spambot on your home network and need too follow https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... it could be coming from a wide range of devices here in the forums we have had TV's, Firesticks, Computers, Phones etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

wojathome
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm not on a 'home network' as such, I'm currently connected via a FON WiFi access point...

Also, I've set up an additional SMTP connection which works fine over the same 'home network'.

Additionally, the Virgin SMTP connection has, historically, failed as it currently is only to as suddenly start working again at some point, and that's happened when connected in several other ways and from multiple locations...

I'm still of the opinion it's your problem and less mine.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The  error message you are getting is quite clear of what causes it, you can check yourself of your external IP address has been added to the SpamHaus block list due to spam being sent at https://www.spamhaus.org/query and type in your external IP you can gets this my typing "whats my ip" into google.

If you are on the CSSSBL list then the problem is certainly something on the FON Wifi network that has caused the blacklist, as it is a public access point it is going to be hard or impossible to get that block removed, as soon as something connects that is sending SPAM then it will get blacklisted again.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wojathome wrote:

I'm still of the opinion it's your problem and less mine.

Be aware that VIP's such as @DJ_Shadow1966  and myself aren't Virgin Media employees, but we do have a special status by virtue of the quality of the assistance we've given over the years.

While you are welcome to your opinion, remember that that's all it is, an opinion.  You're not in possession of all the facts though.  Which is what DJ_Shadow has tried to help you with.

The fact is that Virgin Media has a non standard approach to dealing with email submission.  They apply at least one blacklist check on email submission, and if you fail that particular check you get Authentication Denied (VM305).  There are a number of other Authentication denied errors as well, which is why I wrote the post I linked in earlier in the thread.  We can't share everything we know, although where information has been provided by the Forum Team in the past, I have no compunctions in repeating that.

No for my opinion. @Kev_B @ModTeam 

I personally remain opposed to using the CSS to vet connections on the SMTP relays.  Blacklists have never been designed for this purpose.  While the blacklist providers don't expressly forbid it, they certainly caution against this approach.

Why?

For this very reason!  You end up with innocent users blocked from sending mail.

Tim

wojathome
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **:**:**:**:**:**
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99b:b178:55cf:b32a%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.2.9(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 July 2020 11:01:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 July 2020 12:54:56
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.2.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 185371645
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : **:**:**:**:**:**-**:**:**:**:**:**-F1-37
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Blocklist Lookup Results

172.17.2.9 is not listed in the SBL

172.17.2.9 is not listed in the PBL

172.17.2.9 is not listed in the XBL

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello

That isnt the external IP address that is the internal IP address, you need to find the external IP address, the reason being if it was your external it would be on the PBL list as that stands for "Public List"

Open up google and search for whats my IP.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
wojathome
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

"Problem" possibly in the use of blacklisting as you explained it...

For now I have circumvented this by using a different provider to send email "on behalf of", but that's far from ideal (but I can at least send)

0 Kudos