Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

email pwd reset of closed account

I am helping a vulnerable person rebuild their broken PC. They recently moved house, and away from virgin media, but have forgotten their email password. Their "username" is not found when trying to reset their password that way - we assume it has been "detached" as they are no longer a live customer. How can they regain access to their email to enable them to archive it elsewhere. The individual has been self isolating since beginning of March (one lung since cancer op and poor hearing). Have not been able to get through on the call centre number for someone to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: email pwd reset of closed account

you can't. The account should of been deleted 90 days after they left.
If they are no longer a customer VM can not help recover it and the email may be deleted at any time.

All VM can do is arrange for the email to be fully deleted off the system for your security

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's not yet 90 days since they left and email was working until last Tuesday, when the PC broke....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi johntoher,

When was your friend's account actually disconnected? The system automatically deletes the email as @apcyberax mentioned but it shouldn't have been within the 90 days. Please let us know so we can see if we still have control over it.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, very much appreciate your offer of help; I have just spoken to him and apparently the contract was terminated 6/6/2019... So way longer than 90 days; and well outside "your commitment". Longer ago than I had been led to believe.

He is still able to access the email virgin media email via his mobile phone; I have told him to leave that as is for the moment; so he doesn't lose anything; But to use the new (non virgin media) account I have created for him on his PC for new mail. I'll just have to hope that once lock-down ends that I can get at his phone to archive his old stuff off... an impossibility to talk him through 😞 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back with more information johntoher. I strongly advise that you try and show him how to back up his important emails as soon as you can as once it goes from his mobile, that may be it.

I'm going to send you a Private Message just so I can get some details about his account and  make sure the facts are correct as I don't want to base this on an assumption. Please reply back to it so I can take a peek.

Thanks,

Lisa